This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I finally just finished reading and watching the Harry Potter series. Yes, late to the party. I know. Anyway, I made it a goal of mine to read the book then watch the movie which turned out to be the best decision I ever made. Here are some reasons you should always read the book before the movie. 

1. The movie never captures the entire book in any series. 

Movies are on average about one to two hours long which makes it very hard for the producer to fit all the little things that have an sort of significance into the plot. There is so much build up during battle scenes or just a fight between friends that is crucial in the telling the stories, which is often neglected in movies. For example, in Harry Potter. Hermione cares so much for the house elves and made a little club, S.P.E.W, to promote freedom and rights for the enslaved house elves. This was never even brought up in the movie. Reading the book brought more significance to scenes in the movies. 

1. Helps you understand more. 

So, I also just finished watching the Hunger Games. It was a great movie but if I had read the book before I felt that I would have fully understood it more. For example, my sister said that Katniss and Gail are like basically siblings in the book?? HUH? Another reason to support my argument that reading just helps you gain more insight into the stories and characters that really make it more of an experience. 

1. Reading is good for the soul !!

Reading itself is its own experience. Reading Deathly hallows will never compare to watching the movie. Reading the book I was anxiously waiting to know what would happen and literally on the edge of my seat. Every page turn felt like I was one step closer to the finish line. Mini accomplishments !!

Hiiii, my name is Steph! I'm from Cape Cod, Mass. When I'm not working you can find me making some iced shaken espressos or hanging outside with my friends!