BIG Secrets from the Trading Floor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Ever wandered past the trading room and wondered what exactly goes on in there? If so, you’re certainly not alone, collegiettes! I’ve always wanted to find out how to become more involved with the trading room and the Bentley Investment Group (BIG). But, let’s be honest, between the flashing tickers and the swarms of suited Bentley studs; the second floor of Smith can be a little intimidating.

Since I don’t have too much experience with asset management, I was nervous to just show up at a BIG meeting. There’s nothing worse than being “that girl” in the room who warrants the classic “She doesn’t even go here!” Mean Girls reference. In attempt to learn more about the group before diving in to the shark tank, I sat down with the president of BIG, Dan Stroller.

Here’s the basic rundown of what I found out:

What exactly is BIG?

The group serves as Bentley’s own version of a mutual fund and invests real funds into the stock market. 

How much money are we talking?

The club started with an endowment of $250,000 in 1997 and their latest return report came in around $620,000.

Who is welcome at BIG?

BIG is open to all Bentley students, regardless of major or experience level. The club is broken down into sectors, each with their own leadership team. These leaders act as mentors for newer members, so it’s easy to learn!

What happens at a typical meeting?

At each meeting, a different sector presents their investment recommendations to the group. Then, all 200 members are able to vote on whether they feel it is a viable stock or not. Each member has an equal vote – even as a newbie you will have the same say as the executive board!

When does the club meet?

The club meets every Wednesday during activity period at 12:45pm. The location of the meetings is announced the night before via email. Be sure to email GA_BIG@bentley.edu in order to be added to their distribution list. Then, you will receive all weekly returns and announcements!

How can I become more involved?

You can go to a weekly meeting on Wednesday (I’ve been assured there will be no Mean Girls-related quips). Or, if you are still a little apprehensive, you can email GA_BIG@bentley.edu for more information.

There you have it, collegiettes! Whether you are a finance novice or you consider yourself the next Warren Buffet, BIG offers endless networking opportunities. And don’t let the ties fool you, ladies, the men of BIG are actually a lot of fun. So, don’t be shy and get involved today! 

Bentley University Class of 2014
Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.