The Bentley Spring Comedy Show: Was it too much?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Alright Bentley students, most of you probably either went to the CAB comedy show this past month or have heard about the jokes mentioned by professional comedians, Jeff Ross and Anthony Jeselnik, and student openers, Josh Seiden and Ian Rich. As a recent Vanguard article explained, many of the jokes were centered around controversial topics, including sexual assault, rape, sexual harassment, gender stereotypes, racism, and disability.

While many in the audience thought these jokes were hilarious and fitting to Bentley with its 60% male student body, many other members of our community could not see the humor or appropriateness of these jokes.

Why is it that the audience found jokes about sexual assault to be funny? Why is it that Bentley students were able to laugh about a female volunteer being sexually harassed or at a joke about slipping date rape drugs to girls? Is it that we believe these things are acceptable at Bentley? Hopefully not.

Rather than blame and point fingers, it’s important to look behind the humor of these jokes and look into our own community at Bentley to see why students are laughing at topics that are offensive and hurtful to other Bentley community members. Sexual assault, gender stereotypes, and mental disability are issues not to be taken lightly, whether on or off the Bentley campus.

So we ask you, how do you feel about the jokes and topics mentioned at the comedy show? Do you think making fun of topics like these is a problem, or not? Share your voice and if you feel compelled to, speak up for your beliefs next time an offensive joke is told.

*To express your opinion on this issue, please feel free to put your feedback here. All responses will remain anonymous and may be used in a follow-up article about this topic. Please indicate in your response if you would not like to see it covered in the article.

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.