This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Interested in mysteries? I have the perfect book for you! 

I read this book this past winter break as my very first Agatha Christie novel, and I can say with 100% confidence that it is one of the best books I have ever read. Published in 1939 by Agatha Christie, who is known as the “queen of mystery,” And Then There Were None was one of Christie’s favorite novels of hers, and it is known as one of her must-read books.

Introduction to Agatha Christie

Born in 1890 and died in 1976, Agatha Christie is known as one of the best-selling novelists of all time. Her books have sold over a billion copies in just the English language alone, and another billiion copies in translated versions of her stories. She wrote a total of 66 mystery novels published between 1920 and 1976

The Story

And Then There Were None is the best-selling crime novel of all time. It’s a story centered around ten complete strangers who are all summoned to a mysterious island by an even more mysterious and eccentric millionaire. However, upon arriving to the island, the guests realize that their mystery host is nowhere to be found. Without giving too much away in terms of spoilers, this is the most I will say in terms of a synopsis. If you want to learn more, I guess you are just going to have to read the book for yourself! 

What I will say about reading this book is that without fail even if you think for sure you know exactly what is going on, you don’t. At the end of the book, I thought I understood everything… until I read the epilogue. Again I don’t want to give anything away because I want you to actually read the book for yourself, but reading that epilogue shocked me and I was confused for days after reading the book. Reading the epilogue was a completely mind-altering experience for me that I have never experienced in reading other novels. 

Need More Resons To Read It?

It’s only 264 pages, and aside from some old english that can be a bit confusing here and there, it’s an easy read. If you love mystery books and haven’t read this one yet, I promise you will not be disappointed! The plot takes a second to get going, but once it does, it’s fast-paced and will have you turning the pages until you hit the end. 

I will warn you though, after reading one of Agatha Christie’s books, you will be hooked on her amazing mystery plots. I’m already halfway through my seond novel by Christie, and I have three more on deck to read next!

Erin Loonie

Bentley '21

Erin is a junior at Bentley University where she is majoring in Marketing and a minor in Psychology. In her free time, she loves to write, read, and spend time with her dog, her family, and her friends. On-campus, you'll usually find her in some study space either writing, reading a book, or doing actual homework. Off-campus, you can find her wherever the makeup is.
Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.