6 Tips for Healthier Eating

Hey ladies! It’s that time of year again when the leaves start falling and the pumpkin flavors are in the air. Even though those bikinis have been put away until Spring Break, that’s no excuse to let that body you’ve worked on go to waste. This new blog will help you stay active and healthy while looking and feeling your best all year round. This week I will give you six tips for healthier eating habits.

Tip #1: Eating is Not a Race

Unless you’re involved in a hot dog eating contest, there is no reward for finishing your meal first. Hectic schedules have led us to adopt the unhealthy habit of rapid eating. The act of eating too quickly leads to overeating. Adopting a more leisurely eating habit will allow us to savor our food, and get the signal of fullness before we overeat.

Tip #2: Don’t Skip Meals

Research has shown that people who skip breakfast weigh more than those who eat it regularly. A huge misconception exists that skipping meals will save calories. However, the truth is that those who eat less than three meals a day tend to eat more calories throughout the course of the day. Additionally, eating breakfast starts your metabolism for the day, allowing your body to burn fat and work efficiently. So, instead of starting your day by eating lunch at 12:30, eat a good breakfast each morning to get those extra few for your metabolism to work. Strive to eat three meals beginning with a healthy breakfast containing protein and fiber. You know what they say, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”

Tip #3: Lay off the Liquid Calories

Studies have shown that Americans get approximately 21% of their calories from beverages. Liquid calories such as alcohol, coffee with cream and sugar, sweetened juices, teas, and sodas contribute to weight gain. Drinking beverages only satisfies thirst, but does little to impact hunger. Switch to healthier drinks such as water, club soda, skim milk, vegetable juice, and small portions of 100% fruit juice.