3 Easy Steps to Becoming an Organized Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Are you disorganized? Do you spend valuable time searching for a simple item in your dorm room? Do you forget your friends’ birthdays? Are there times you want to clear your life of clutter?

Well, now you can, and winter break is perfect time to start!

Try removing all unnecessary items from your dorm, using the right tools, and knowing the necessary organizational skills to make things easier for yourself on a daily basis.

Here are a few simple steps to making your life easier, cleaner, and more efficient!

1.  Removing unnecessary and unused items in your dorm room

Throw away expired freezer and fridge items, dispose of trash, recycle, and discard old clothes by donating them. This will not only help other people, but will give you an excuse to clean out your closet.

2. Only carry the necessities
Needless items also apply to women carrying backpacks or oversized purses. Find the time to go through them every other week to make sure you are only carrying the necessities. Men, go through your wallets to make sure you only have the items you really need. For all students, make sure you clean out your folders, notebooks, and binders every so often to avoid carrying or storing unnecessary items because they can cause clutter and confusion when looking for a current assignment.

3. Get the supplies you need to be organized and learn how to use them
Buy any type of calendar, desk, pocket, or notebook, which can be organized on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Having a calendar within reach allows you to plan your time accordingly and never lose track of the day.

Making a weekly “To Do” list allows you to organize your thoughts and your time. Once you see all the things you need to accomplish, you can select what is a top priority and create a plan to get it done. If you have many different tasks, assign folders or notebooks to each one and note the date they are due, or purpose and reason these tasks are on your list; this will allow you to stay organized and up-to-date.

You don’t need to spend a lot of money at the book store or Staples in order to be organized, but it does help to buy the proper tools. Necessary supplies range from a stapler to power surge unit; but, the more common items are notebooks, folders, highlighters, pens, pencils, white-out tape, and batteries. It’s always a good idea to have a backup supply of flash-drives, staples for the stapler, pens, and white-out tape; it allows you to continue working without wasting time running out to the store.

It is extremely important to be organized, and once you know what works best for you, be sure to remember and use the same method over and over again. This way, it becomes a habit and you will be organized without even trying.

Good luck with your quest for organization, collegiettes™ – winter break is the perfect time to get organized and ready for the new semester!

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.