This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Loneliness sucks. No one wants to be stuck alone for a weekend, get caught eating alone, or have no one to go to the movies with. We’re social creatures and especially in college, we’re all looking for ways to get connected. Our lives have become about making new friends, trying new things and hanging out with people. I’m not knockin’ friendship, but everyone can stand to benefit from spending a little time alone. Here’s why:

It lets you recharge.

Introverts know what I’m talking about. Life, college, social interaction, and your constant list of responsibilities can be draining. Even if being around people is what recharges you, you should still give your brain and body a chance to catch up with each other. Everyone needs a breather, even if it’s just for five minutes.

It boosts creativity.

This one’s for all you Belmont singers, songwriters, poets, painters and other creative folk: Find yourself a gazebo (or a quiet corner, if Tennessee temperatures prove themselves too painful) and give yourself a chance away from roommates and practice hours. Let our brain work through what you want to get out without distractions. Make your next masterpiece. 

It enhances relationships (with others AND yourself).

You can get to know yourself and build better relationships with your friends or significant other in one fell swoop. Give yourself a chance to understand who you are and what you want out of relationships. If you don’t know yourself, you’re not going to know which relationships are beneficial to you and which ones are draining.

Y’all, go out, make friends, hang out, try new things and build a repertoire of incredible experiences people dream about, but at the end of the day, make sure you come home to yourself. After all, you’re the one you’re going to be spending the rest of your life with. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram