This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Recently, the two people who I spend most of my time with both went out of town for the weekend. I am a pretty shy person. I don’t venture out of my bubble and into new situations very often. So when I found out both of the people who I depend on to keep me occupied were not going to be present for 3 whole days, I was totally freaked out. When I have too much time to myself, I tend to get a little homesick which leaves me cooped up in my room in a distraught state. After thinking it over, I decided that there was no reason for this to be a bad weekend. I decided that I was going to embrace being alone for a few days, and I was going to love it.

At first I was a little lonely. I hadn’t yet figured out what to do and I needed to make a plan, but it all worked out. I did my laundry, cleaned my room, studied for my midterms, practiced a speech, attended a comedy show, ate off campus, went to the gym, sat outside, watched a movie, drove to the store, got ahead on homework, and went on a walk. ALL BY MYSELF.

So why am I telling you all this? Because during my weekend of lonely adventures, I realized how important it is to find time for myself.

It is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of college life and forget about your personal needs. You go to class with people. You eat with people. You share a living space with other people. It is a completely different environment than what you’re used to, and you are forced to adapt in the best way you can. It’s easy to feel like you always have to be doing something, or that you always have to have people around you. You see what “perfect college life” is like in the movies and you want those experiences too.

I’m here to tell you that spending some time with yourself might be the thing you didn’t know you needed. Taking time for yourself allows you to think. Thinking isn’t always my favorite thing to do because my brain often wanders in 100 different directions, but taking time to really think about your life, how you’re feeling, and refocussing is something we all need every once in a while. Being around people 24/7 gets exhausting, and we sometimes don’t realize that we just need a little breather.

There is something empowering about sitting alone and being able to be content about it. Being alone can help build self-confidence and allow you to begin to see all the things you can do without having to depend on others.  Your “social guard” disappears and you are able to freely consult with yourself. You will be able to stand up to your personal doubts and be inspired to take on new experiences.  Being alone isn’t always ideal, and it can push us far beyond our comfort zones, but that is how we grow.

Alone” isn’t always a negative word. In fact, it can be quite positive. I challenge you, as you continue on your crazy journeys, to take a breather, get some fresh air, and spend some time alone. It might not always be easy, but it is worth getting to know yourself!

Kaylinn is a Corporate Communication major at Belmont University located in Nashville, Tennessee. She loves shopping, watching reality tv, and eating pizza. She likes talking politics, but can also hold an equally compelling conversation about the Kardashians. She dreams of traveling the world and living in Italy with her little sister.
A freshman at Belmont University, Sarah Sholar is pursuing her dream to work in the entertainment industry with full force. Born and raised in small-town North Carolina, she is working to make her spot in a big city. Her loves include Taylor Swift, baking, watercolor painting, and attending every concert within a thirty mile radius.