This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

What is the piano project and who does it benefit?

The Piano Project is an initiative of the Belmont chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota to purchase a keyboard lab for the Children’s Freedom Choir.

What is Children’s Freedom Choir?

The Children’s Freedom Choir is a weekly outreach choir located in southeast Nashville. They uphold a mission intended to help children become free to grow academically, socially, and spiritually through music. Currently, CFC exists as a weekly rehearsal where they provide a meal, music, and a community for the children. In the coming semester, the program will be expanding to a twice-weekly after-school program with opportunities for academic support, choir, and other musical activities.

How many children are a part of CFC?

CFC has two choirs, younger and older. Each has a regular attendance of 20-30 children. While this leaves us with around 50 members, as the choir transitions to an afterschool program we expect to add 50+ members.

Who is fundraising for this project?

Belmont University’s chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota. Sigma Alpha Iota is an international organization, which promotes interaction among those who share a commitment to music.

How are you fundraising?

We have hosted a variety of events and present to various groups about The Piano Project. We also encourage community members to give as they are able!

When are you hoping to have everything fundraised by?

Our goal is the end of 2019, and you can help us get there!

Are there any events happening soon that people can attend? How can students get more involved?

This coming Wednesday, April 17th, we are hosting a Spring Clean Clothing Sale! A bunch of wonderful individuals have donated items and everything will be available for purchase on a donation basis. You can donate by texting (615) 708-7529 or contacting Rachelle Clousing (rachelle.clousing@pop.belmont.edu)! Anyone who gives an item gets entered into a raffle for a $25.00 gift card to Bongo Java.

Aside from this, we will have more events in the Fall, so keep yours eyes peeled!

If someone would like to donate, how can they do that?

If you would like to give to our cause, please venmo @Belmont-SAI or email saiepsilonlambda@gmail.com

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram.

Rachelle is a junior at Belmont University. She is studying music therapy and has a minor in psychology and hopes to work in hospice someday. Along with writing, she enjoys reading, learning new musical instruments, and spending time with friends.