My Time with Jenny Wolfe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Jenny Wolfe is a 23-year-old grad student who is currently teaching the theory labs for Dan Kozlowski’s Fundamentals of Music classes. On top of that, she does all the work of a grad student, teaches private voice lessons, and is a part of Phoenix, a pop rock ensemble on campus. I had the pleasure of interviewing Jenny as she ran from teaching a private lesson to a meeting.  

Why did you choose Belmont for your undergrad and graduate studies?

“For undergrad it was actually a safety school for me. I was looking at a couple of different schools, Belmont, Berklee School of Music, like you’d expect, and I got into Berklee and Belmont. Berklee actually gave me a huge scholarship but I fell in love with Belmont: the campus, the faculty and the atmosphere.  It was good because I didn’t want the party scene. It was the best of both worlds. I chose [Belmont] for grad school because I really didn’t want to go anywhere else. I looked all over the world in Ireland, the UK, some in the US…but the programs just weren’t the same as what Belmont has. I knew I had more to learn, more to gain.”

Why are you choosing to teach rather than trying to become an artist?

“I don’t have the personality to be an artist [Laughs] and I don’t mean that in a bad way at all! It’s a lifestyle I can’t live. I enjoy the aspects of it like performing, songwriting and singing background vocals but not the lifestyle, the instability. I love teaching, it fulfills me to help people and I get the freedom to learn and gain knowledge. I like the stability of it.”

What is your favorite thing about grad school/teaching?

“I think it’s the feeling I get when I finally learn something new. When I have a really good lesson with my personal teacher or my student, it’s the feeling of success from mastering something.  Putting a new tool in my shed or a new tool in someone else’s shed.”

What have you been involved in from your senior year until now?

“I’ve been part of commercial showcase, BGVs, but mostly it’s been a lot of teaching. Senior year I worked hard studying the voice and how it works and learning how to teach. I think teaching voice is one of the hardest things a person can do. As far as activities, I’m in Phoenix, I have done tons of background vocals, and I’m teaching lessons and classes.”

What do you consider your greatest success?

“Oh I’m about to get super personal! [Laughs] To be honest, coming has far as I have is my greatest success. I have an extremely debilitating anxiety disorder. I’m not exaggerating! I’m now able to get up and put a smile on my face, even on my worst days. I continue to live my life to fullest potential even though my brain is not always that nice to me.”

What advice can you give to commercial majors or people wanting a career in music in general?

“For people pursuing a career in music, or any career honestly, the best advice I can give is to wake up everyday and ask: “What can I do today that will benefit me in my career?” It can be a number of things, whether it’s practicing guitar scales, playing a song, contacting industry professionals and setting up interviews, or sleeping, if that’s what you really need!  You have to take care of yourself if you want to be successful. You have to put everything you have into what you want.”

Is there anything else you want to say that we haven’t talked about?

“Any person, through their own actions, can change their situation. My dad used to say that and it’s helped me a lot, even though I used to hate hearing it.”

My name is Brittany Best and I'm a writer for Belmont University's HerCampus Chapter! I love writing and researching many different topics. This is my first writing job but not my first time as a writer! I've written multiple essays and papers that have gone on to win high achievements in academic competitions in my hometown. I am currently a commercial voice here at Belmont and before I studied voice for 11 years. I have also been in a relationship for 3 years in which 1 1/2 years has been long distance. I'm girl for advice on how to make long distance work and how to keep a relationship fun! I'm also your girl for all things singing and music related!