This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

College can be hard, especially when you miss your furry friends back home. You count down the weeks and days until you can be reunited with your pets, missing them tremendously. Luckily, there is a solution that not only helps with this problem, but but also helps with many dogs that need a home.

At the Metro Animal Control in Nashville, there is a wonderful opportunity that allows you to temporarily adopt any of their dogs for the day for free. You are doing the shelter a service by taking one of their dogs on an adventure and giving the dog all the love they deserve.

Last weekend, my roommate and I had the opportunity to devote an entire day to one of these dogs. Choosing one to adopt for the day was the hardest part, as there is an entire room full of them waiting for someone to take them. After a tough decision, we chose a dog named Burke, who was deaf and partially blind but had the biggest heart. Burke was bursting with energy and love, so we took him to Radnor Lake State Park, walked him around, and enjoyed the fall foliage outside.

After that, we stopped by Starbucks to get Burke a “Puppuccino,” a cup filled with whipped cream for dogs. He scarfed it down within seconds of getting it! We then walked him around the Belmont campus before driving him back to Metro Animal Control to drop him off. As hard as it was to say goodbye to him, it was still very heartwarming to have been able to give Burke a fun day away from the shelter and we know that with his personality, he will get adopted very soon.

Once you get free time, please go make one of these dogs’ days. You never know how much you and the dog both need it! Here is the address for Metro Animal Control if you choose to adopt a dog for a day: 5125 Harding Pl, Nashville, TN 37211. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Annie Kerr

Belmont '22

Hi, I'm Annie! I'm from Oklahoma City and I am majoring in English at Belmont University in Nashville! I hope to become a writer or publisher in the future. Some of my favorite things include cats, Christmas, rainy days, books, and romantic comedies!