Why Your Body is Beautiful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This past week, the Women’s Center hosted Love Your Body week, a whole week filled with programs, activities, and speakers dedicated to showing how our bodies are beautiful and unique. I attended some of the Love Your Body Week events and was moved by the messages of body positivity. In honor of Love Your Body Week, I asked some people why they felt their bodies were beautiful.

“I think my body is beautiful because I feel comfortable in my own skin, and I know that it won’t change and I appreciate who I am.”

“My body is beautiful because I think it’s beautiful. Anyone can tell me that I’m beautiful, but until I believe it myself it’s not true. I accept every flaw and imperfection that I have because I want to be comfortable in my own skin. Being skinny, chubby, or fat doesn’t symbolize beauty, instead it’s how I feel about myself.”

“Well personally I feel that there is a lot of skinny shaming going on today and I don’t condone people treating their bodies horribly to attain that type of body. But being naturally skinny is just as beautiful as being naturally curvy. So I guess my body is beautiful because I treat it with respect and I maintain my natural shape in a healthy way.”

“It’s black.”

“It allows me to live my life and do the things that I want to do.”

“It’s mine. I might not always feel 100% confident with my appearance, but I appreciate that the body I have is my own and I have come to really appreciate those moments where I look in the mirror and admire the image I see.”

Love Your Body Week stands as a reminder that body positivity is an important part of the college experience and that all bodies are worthy of love. It’s not always easy to feel that our bodies are beautiful, but it’s weeks like these that help to remind us how amazing our bodies are.

Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.