Why You Should Play Fantasy Sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Currently, I’m in three fantasy sports leagues (football, baseball, and hockey), and in two of the leagues, there’s only one other girl. I don’t understand why there is such a stigma around girls who like sports and want to have a little competitive fun, but here’s a list of reasons why I think you should play fantasy sports, even if the guys are hesitant to let you in their leagues!

Competition

Who doesn’t love a little competition?! The beauty of fantasy is that each week you play a head-to-head matchup against a different person in your league, so there are plenty of opportunities for a little smack talk among friends! The best part is if you’re in a league with all boys, you can prove them all wrong when you win!

Conversation Starter

If you’re ever in an awkward situation and you don’t know anyone, chances are someone else in that group also plays fantasy. Whether you talk about who’s on your team, how your week is going, or general fantasy rules, you’ll be able to make a new friend in only a few minutes!

Sports Knowledge

If you know a lot about the sport you’re playing, then fantasy is the perfect opportunity to show off that knowledge! Making the perfect draft picks or setting your lineup each week is a great way to put all of your knowledge to use! On the other hand, if you don’t know much about the sport and are just in the league for fun, now’s the perfect time to learn! Reading blogs, talking to other people in your league, and watching games will help you to learn more about the sport, and hopefully you’ll come to enjoy it more!

Get More Involved

Being in a fantasy league makes every game super important. Your players are going to be from every team in the league, so you won’t be able to just root for your home team anymore! You’ll want to watch every single game (or at least the highlights)!

Win Money/Bragging Rights

A lot of fantasy leagues play just for bragging rights (which are still great!), but in many cases, you play for money! That means that you could walk away from a fantasy season just a little bit richer, which we all love.

Whether you’ve been a sports fan for life, or you’re just looking for something fun to do with your friends, fantasy sports are the way to go!

Photo Sources:

http://thecollaborative.org/c/event/fantasy-football-draft

http://www.politicalcampaigningtips.com/sports-political-campaigns-candidates-should-know-the-scores/

http://alannahetheridge.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/get-paid-for-writing-product-reviews-online-earn-money-online-by-leaving-your-opinion-on-products/

BC Senior, Future High School Teacher. Lover of laughing, Diet Coke, friends and family, pandas, peanut butter, and the BCMB.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.