Why We Love March Madness (And Why You Should, Too!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

March is the best time of the year: the snow has at long last completely melted (hopefully), the temperature is rising more and more every day, and spring has finally sprung. But the best part of March has to be March Madness. March Madness, a single elimination tournament featuring 68 college basketball teams to determine the national championship of the major college basketball teams, is by far a sports fan’s dream. A different game on every night, a new underdog upsetting the #1 seed in the region, buzzer-beaters, and above all, a new national champion… Is there anything better than March Madness?! Here are some reasons why you should love this amazing month of basketball:

1. There is nothing like it

No really, think about it. College football’s playoff system sucks, to be blunt, and has none of the exciting aspects of the playoff system that March Madness has (though that soon will be changed!). Additionally, college hockey has a playoff system, but it only has 16 teams in it and draws much less of an audience. But by far, March is the greatest month to watch college hoops from sun-up to sun-down, take “sick” days, fall in love with a team you didn’t know existed a week ago (i.e. Mercer University or Florida Gulf Coast) or just root for your favorite college.

2. The upsets

Nobody loves an upset quite like me. I constantly root for the underdog (unless they’re playing UConn…), hoping that they can pull off the ultimate feat and launch their school into absolute happiness frenzy. It’s an instant classic. For some reason, a No. 12 seed always beats a No. 5 seed. It happens every year. And every year, it just gets better and better. Also sadly, in the storied history of March Madness, a No. 16 seed has never beaten a No. 1 seed. 104-0. Yup, you heard that right. Crossing my fingers that this incredible upset happens in next year’s tournament!

3. Cinderella teams

There are few things I like more than a good Cinderella team. Call them “Bracket Busters” or “Cinderellas”—it doesn’t matter. They are what make this tournament impossible to turn off. If everything went exactly according to plan, then why would we watch the Big Dance? Every year, there are a few low-ranked teams that just explode, delivering huge upsets, and inspiring the country. No one knows why this happens, but every year we thank the basketball gods for giving fans something to scream about. All bets are off during March Madness!

The Final Four matchups this year are UConn vs. Florida and Kentucky vs. Wisconsin. Both match-ups will be incredibly competitive, and these National Semifinal games will be played tomorrow, April 5th. Following this, the two winners of both games will play in the National Championship game on April 7th in Arlington, Texas. You know where I will be that night… anyone can join me, but with one rule: you must wear UConn Husky Blue.

Photo Sources:

http://www.cushingco.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/March-Madness-2014.jpg

http://topbet.eu/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/clutch-shots-buzzer-beaters-trey-burke-10-ten-Reasons-Why-March-Madness-Is-the-Greatest-Event-in-Sports.jpg

http://media.cav.s3.amazonaws.com/6346_20140321_1327102f.jpg

http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/pgmain/img/lansing/photo/2014/03/-f7d14a6eaea3741f.JPG

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."