Why I Love Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I hate finals.  You hate finals.  We all hate finals.  But, what if there was something good that came out of them?  What if there was a small beam of light down this dark path of sleepless nights, tears, and frustration?  Well, collegiettes, after some serious soul searching, I have found the brighter side of finals week.  Here are the top reasons why I love finals:

(Disclaimer: I don’t really love finals.  I actually still hate them.  If after reading this article, you find yourself loving finals; you need to seek professional help.)

1. Stress eating.

Stress eating is basically just finals week’s way of tossing a middle finger to bathing suit season.  Oh, you’ve been eating healthy all year?  You mean, you go to the Plex every single day?  Can you even remember the last time you indulged yourself with a treat from White Mountain?  Well, finals week is here, and it is going to ruin all of that.  You made it mere weeks away from being able to strut your stuff in that sassy little two-piece, but thanks to finals, your dreams of being recruited by Victoria’s Secret the second you step on that pristine beach are gone.  But, hey, who cares?  Thanks to stress eating; there’s just a little bit more of you to love.

2. More time to work on my social media skills.

I can’t think of a better time than finals week to purge my Facebook of old friends and pictures when I had braces.  There is nothing more productive than updating my Twitter bio.  I have never looked this ugly in a Snapchat… go me!  My textbooks are practically begging me to Instagram them and add hashtags riddled with alliteration, such as #librarylife #studystress #distracteddiva (maybe that last one only applies to me?).  I could totally make a LinkedIn right now!  (On second thought, no, because that would just remind me of my shortcomings.  Now is not the time.)  Bottom line: now is prime time to work on these assets, which are normally so terribly neglected.

3. No need for sappy goodbyes.

Listen, roommates, I know you’re leaving in a couple days and then going abroad for a whole semester, but I really, really, really just don’t have time to miss you right now!  No offense, you’re great.  I really just don’t have time to ugly cry right now, so I’m just not going to acknowledge that you’re leaving.  Sorry about it! 

4. Casual attire.

Finals week means I’m living the sweatpants life…every single day.  I mean – think about it – it would be weird to dress nicely, while my hair looks like a small family of squirrels are snuggling in it at all times.  Common sense, people.

5. More time to read HC BC articles!

This one is pretty self-explanatory.  You’re not actually studying, so you might as do something that you will you a smarter/ nicer/ more fun/ overall better human being.  This is me, giving all of you permission to pause your studying and to check out some of our fantastic articles.  You’re welcome.

Photo Sources:

http://littlelakeview.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/student-study.jpg

http://lesserevillife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Eating-Too-Much.jpg

http://www.gypsy05.com/images/products/women/Pants/2008/11.30-12.15/W081107/ParisHiltonTori02.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.