Why Girls are Mean to Other Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

None of us would consider ourselves mean (I hope), but the truth is girls are not always nice to each other.  We may be nice to each other’s faces, but behind girls’ backs, who knows what is being said.

Let’s look at the best example of mean girls: the movie Mean Girls.  Clever, right?  We would like to think that an experience of repeatedly being hurt by a bad friend (bully, frenemy, etc.) would make girls more empathetic towards others in similar situations, but Mean Girls actually shows us that this has an opposite impact.  The girl who has been hurt by her mean friends might be equally mean to someone else.  Don’t be like those girls in the movie.  I know that sometime in your life, a girl was mean to you; it’s happened to all of us.  But that does not make it okay to be mean to other girls. 

Here are some common questions to ask ourselves about why girls are mean to each other:

1. Why do girls call other girls pretty or skinny with a tone of disgust?
2. Why do girls call other girls sluts?
3. Why are girls so judgmental?
4. Why do girls gossip?
5. Why are girls such bad friends to each other sometimes?

Now the real question is – do any of these have answers?

It is probably true that some girls are jealous and bully others to make themselves feel superior.  Some girls may be trying to mask their own insecurities by focusing on other’s imperfections and insecurities.  Plus, Facebook and other forms of social media are now providing more of an open arena for this type of indirect female bullying.  The virtual world provides an unlimited, retaliation-free space for mocking, shunning, and attacking other people.

So listen up BC girls – we can’t continue this madness.  It is sad enough that young girls face bullying so often in school today, but it should not extend through high school and into college.  So how can we fix it? How can we stop girls from being mean to other girls?  It starts with you.

Don’t stick to first impressions.  Sometimes girls just make fun of other girls based on appearance or what they “think” they know about those girls.  But these can very well be mislead judgments. It is not fair to assume things about people when you don’t really know them.

Remember that all of us have insecurities, and life is challenging enough without loading it with useless verbal garbage.  The truth is we have NO IDEA what other girls are going through.  Isn’t it fair that we get to know another girl before we judge her?  After all, we would want other girls to do the same to us.

Let’s all try to be nice, ok?

Photo Sources:
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23700000/Mean-girls-mean-girls-23…
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70kmmfKMn1rb0bzho1_500.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.