What’s Hot Now: Zaarly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Ever think to yourself “I really wish I had someone to clean our apartment after last night’s party”?  How about “I really wish I had a study guide for tomorrows exam”? Or even more common, “If only Chipotle delivered to the library…”?  Then I have a tool for you!

Zaarly is a free peer-to-peer mobile app and web based marketplace, except YOU post what YOU want.  Co-founder Eric Koester explains the site as a “ safer, more secure Craigslist, all packed into your phone.”  Zaarly, which was launched just last February, lets students get what they want, where and when they want it, and at their price.  On the flipside, Zaarly also allows students to make a little extra pocket cash by fulfilling requests.

How Zaarly Works:

Buyers:

1. Looking for tickets to the spring concert and sick of posting to the Boston College Class of _____ Facebook page?  Head to Zaarly.com and press “Request”!
  2. Specify what you want and a short description if necessary.
  3. Then, tell your potential sellers how much you are willing to pay and where you are located.
  4. Sellers in the BC community, who have their own profiles with Facebook verifications, short bios, and a profile icon, will then contact you via the message system if they want to fulfill your request.
  5. When satisfied with an offer, click “Accept” and the deal is on!
  6. Once you receive what you requested, simply click “Pay” or give your seller cash in person!
  7. You get what you want…. When you want it.

Sellers (Alert):

1. Know you have a bike that you are no longer using?  Head to Zaarly.com and press “Provide”!
  2. Pick a category or key word of what you are planning to sell.
  3. Specify how much you want to make on your sale.
  4. Choose your location and the surrounding area you would be willing to sell to.
  5. Next, an alert will be created so that you will be contacted if anyone in your specified area posts about a bike! 

Sellers (Responding to posts):

1. Zaarly lets allows users to clearly see who is asking for products, services, or tasks in the area in a clear, concise map.
  2. Heading to Bolocco and see that someone has requested a burrito to the library and is willing to pay $20 for it?  Pick up an extra one while there and make a little extra cash on the way!
  3. Simply press request, add a personalized message, and suggest a different price if necessary.

BC’s Campus CEO, Annie Pemberton, class of 2013, says Zaarly is all about “building a community and building an economy” and that the coolest part about Zaarly is the sheer number of opportunities it creates that people don’t even know about.

If you want to get started taking hold of these opportunities, make sure you visit their Facebook and Twitter pages and watch their video on YouTube! 

Want to get involved in the Zaarly at BC?  The team is looking for individuals who are creative, outgoing and enthusiastic about Zaarly to apply for the position of Director of Communications and Director of Operations.  All grades and majors are open to apply on their website!! 

And make sure to look out for Zaarly on campus!  They will be doing tons of promotions for free food as well as giving out tons of swag (I have my eyes set on the Zaarly koozies and ping pong balls…)

Photo Credit: 
www.zaarlybc.wufoo.com

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.