Welcome to My Home: Southold, NY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

One of the biggest appeals of coming to Boston College is its proximity to downtown Boston.  We all love going into the city and exploring the sights, like Newbury Street, Boston Common, and Faneuil Hall.  But guess what?  We collegiettes come from literally all over the world!  We grew up in one home our whole life or moved to dozens of new places.  We were raised in small towns and huge cities!  Just because we are in Boston doesn’t mean we can’t see the rest of the world.  This is a series to introduce us to the many unique and interesting places that we come from, better known as home.

When people think of Long Island, they think of New York City and the more urban/suburban areas in Nassau County.  I didn’t really think about how long Long Island was until I came to college!  For example, my roommate (who lives in New Jersey) lives closer to New York City than I do!  As much as I like going to school in Boston and the hustle and bustle of NYC, I’m really just a small town girl at heart.  I’m from a little town that barely anyone has heard of.  Located in Suffolk County on Long Island, Southold is (fun fact) the oldest English town in New York State: Puritans from the New Haven Colony founded it in 1640.  Even though it’s known as just a vacation spot for some people in the summer, I’m proud to call it my home year round.  I never considered my town as particularly exciting growing up, but I think the movie Juno says it best: “I never realized how much I like being home unless I’ve been somewhere really different for awhile.”

Beaches
The plethora of beaches in my town is one of the reasons why it’s quickly becoming a tourist destination.  There are many beaches located along both the Long Island Sound, the bay in between the North and South forks, and of course the Atlantic Ocean.  Activities such as fishing and clamming are viable activities that keep the local seafood shops in business.  Other nautical activities, such as sailing, jet skiing, and kayaking are popular in the summer.  The beaches get a little blustery in the wintertime but are nonetheless, one of the most beautiful natural features of Southold.

Writer Abbey Clark and her sister enjoying a little summer fun at a local beach

Vineyards
There are about 36 major wineries and vineyards on Long Island, 32 of them on the North Fork, in neighboring towns, and 3 of them located in Southold.  Wine tastings, tours, and events (like weddings) are often held in these spaces.  People also hop from winery to winery playing the role of connoisseurs; tasting the finest and freshest wines the North Fork has to offer.

Farm stands
In the summertime it’s common to see farm stands set up on the side of the road: whether it’s a back road or a two-lane highway.  Originally, the North Fork was known for its potato fields.  Many of these farmers have crossed over and revamped their farms to vineyards or general types of farms cultivating fresh fruits and vegetables.  There are two heightened seasons where people from New York City come out to experience all that these farms have to offer.  Fresh corn, berries, peaches, road side sunflower and lavender sales, and other types of fruits and vegetables are popular commodities in the summertime (and their demand often clogs up traffic along major roadways).  Once autumn arrives, the crowds reappear for pumpkins and apples.

Soccer
Football at BC is quite a different experience than I’m used to, as far as sporting events go.  In my high school, our football team was combined with another nearby district’s team.  Southold football’s game turnout wasn’t nearly as big as the crowds that soccer games attracted.  Many students at one time or another played soccer or went to a soccer camp.  If you didn’t play soccer, you went to the games to support your small and mighty team.  Southold High School’s homecoming is always centered on the Varsity girl’s and Varsity boy’s soccer games.  Growing up in Southold, soccer has had a big influence in my childhood and my adolescence.

Movie stars!
Southold, along with our neighboring towns, has been the backdrop of many movie productions and getaways for celebrities.  About two years ago, The Romantics, featuring stars Adam Brody, Elijah Wood, Katie Holmes, Josh Duhamel, Anna Paquin, Malin Akerman, Dianna Agron, and others, was shot in locations about 5 minutes from my house.  I got to meet Adam Brody and Elijah Wood personally and members of my community were casted as extras in the movie.  It was a very cool experience for local business and restaurant owners to have celebrity customers like Tom Cruise.  The buzz it created in my small town was overwhelming to say the least, yet special events like this keep Southold on the map.

Home Sweet Home
Above all of these features, home is where my heart is.  Even though the summer is probably my favorite time spent in my town, if I lived anywhere else I would severely miss the majestic changes in season.  Ice skating on a fresh water pond by my grandparent’s house is probably one of my fondest memories.  Although I complained that my small town was boring and plain, it’s so rewarding to come home after long stretches of being away at college.  There is a comfort in knowing that nothing really changes in Southold.  I can say with confidence that as a college student living part time in a fantastic city like Boston and part time in the wonderful town of Southold, I’m living the best of both worlds.

Photo Sources:
http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.2356398.1286983735!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/preview_320/image.JPG
http://www.islesinfo.com/LongIslandMap2.jpg
http://ramascreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/The-Romantics.png
http://www.usnetting.com/IMG-SPORT/soccer2.jpg

Wish you could’ve seen YOUR name in this article?  Join our listserv so our writers can occassionally contact you for quotes or interviews on upcoming articles!

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.