We Found Love: The Mods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear Mods,

I’m in love with you.

You’ve been around since 1970.  You’re old and so dirty.  But that’s just why I like you.  Tradition seeps through your mold-infested walls.

The fact that you’re labeled temporary, but are actually so permanent, keeps me on my toes.  Every year you have me guessing as to whether I’ll see another Strip Mod show.

Mods, you are like a one night stand on the weekends: it’s fun while it’s dark out, but I’d rather not look at you during the day.  Your paint is peeling.  Your yard is laden with beer cans and trash.  And your front porch has a dead rat on it.

And I’m pretty sure that’s puke on your couch. We did truly find love in a hopeless place.

But I guess it’s what is on the inside that counts.  Your parties are my number one choice –especially when I’m not invited to them.  Even though you play hard to get and I have to fight my way inside, the effort is so rewarding.  Sweat and an over-packed room are my two favorite things.  And those downstairs bathrooms of yours, no matter how grimy, really do offer me a breather from the other hundred freshman boys that are in love with you too.

I love that you are haphazard.  No matter how well I think I know you, I can never find the right Mod.  I know it’s because you like to keep me searching.

With your iron gates and no admittance policy on Game Day, you are so secretive.  It seems like you don’t want to let me completely in.  Do you not want to go all the way?

I’ve dreamt about living with you since my freshman year.  Does that not count for something?  Can’t you put a word in for your favorite gal during the housing selection?  I know I’d be happy with just one desk and a shared closet.  I’m not high maintenance, you know.

And even though we’re a Catholic school opposing the Greek Life, the Mods are better than any fraternity or sorority.  You’re the best place to be when terrorists die…

You are not only cool and up for a party anytime, you are also sweet and endearing.  You let kids come trick-or-treat!  You’re also the place where most freshmen have their first beer.

And the best part? Just about anything ridiculous (click link, seriously) can happen.

I love you, Mods –you’ve helped us grow up.

Love,
Your Secret Admirer

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.