Tips for Transferring Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I have a confession to make: I am a transfer student.

This does not mean I completely hated my old school though. Actually, I quite enjoyed my time there. I simply wanted a place that was more fit for me; a large university in my home state was not the right space for me academically and socially. At the end of the transfer process, I finally got accepted to my dream school – Boston College!

But… now what? I got into the school, but I was entering not as a first semester freshman like the large majority of BC students.  I have some tips for my fellow transfers to make their transition as successful as possible.

1. Trust your instincts

At the beginning of the transfer process, I almost gave up. Looking at the Common App again brought back terrible memories of senior year of high school. I weighed the pros and cons of leaving my university to see if it was really worth the trouble. I decided, after much deliberation, that my gut instinct was to try a new school, to immerse myself in an environment that seemed to fit my personality better. To this, I have learned to trust my gut. I am so glad I did put in the effort to transfer because now I’m at a school where I am truly happy.

2. Try something new

I knew before coming to BC that I would continue with singing, an activity that I had done in high school and at my old university. Therefore, as one could expect, I got involved with the University Chorale on campus. Despite continuing to sing and enjoying chorale, I was still yearning for something more, something different. If I was courageous enough to transfer, then surely I could try a new activity! I joined SAP, helping with admissions as a greeter. I also became a writer for Her Campus. Both SAP and Her Campus were not on my mind when I was transferring, but I am so glad I can contribute to the BC community in these unique ways.

3. Talk to EVERYONE

Congratulations! You have given yourself a new start and a clean slate. Unfortunately, the connections that you made at your old school are no longer available to you. When I went to my old school, I knew many people simply because they had gone to my high school. I only knew three people prior to coming to BC and one is abroad! Obviously, I could not rely on solely these people (though each of them have been a huge help). Lucky, I live on CoRo (never thought you would hear someone say that would you?) where many of the transfers reside. The transfer girls on my floor and I have become very close and have been great at supporting each other through this transition. Don’t be afraid to talk to people in class and meet other non-transfers! It’s easy to stay in the transfer bubble, which is a great bubble, but you will benefit from expanding your circle of friends.

4. Find a balance

It is important for students to realize, transfer or not, that they are a human with human needs. Make sure you take care of your body and mind. Transferring can be a very stressful process and many times you will seem lost (literally AND figuratively – I couldn’t find the Plex for an embarrassingly long time). Find something beyond school that makes you happy – your mind will thank you!

For those going through the transfer application process, avoid procrastination and get excited for your new adventure ahead of you! For current transfers, the best way to get accustomed to the waters is to jump right in. Good luck!

Photo Sources:

http://panfilocastaldi.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/follow-your-gut/

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/537897_10151995046818694_814525452_n.jpg

www.bc.edu

I'm a girl from BC who likes to do things. That's all.
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum