Thoughts of A Girl Going Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

On January 19th, I’ll be leaving everything that I know and love for Sevilla, Spain. I won’t be back until the end of May. I remember thinking during my freshmen and sophomore years about how excited I was to go abroad, how incredible it would be, how many new friends I would make, the food I would eat, the cocktails I would drink. I am still excited about all of those things; however, as my time at BC passes and I get closer and closer to moving to Europe, I am starting to think about other things, like the odds of me getting a bad host family and not liking the food (food is very important). Here’s a list of the thoughts going through my mind as I prepare to enter a new chapter of my life! Aquí vamos!

How the heck am I going to pack my life into a single suitcase?

I’m definitely bringing more than one suitcase, who am I kidding?

They don’t have peanut butter in Spain… S.O.S.

They have lots of Nutella in Europe… I can get down with that.

I’m going to miss so much at BC!

I won’t miss much; I’ve done it all before and will do it again my senior year!

Crap. Once I get back I only have one year left until I’m a real person.

Crap crap. I only have six weeks until I’m finished at BC this year.

Will I like my host family?

Will my host mom be a good cook?

I hope I don’t need a parka abroad.

Will my parents visit me?

How much will I miss my parents and friends?

Will I love it as much as everyone else does?

Will I come back cool and Euro-chic?

Will Europeans hate me because I’m not Euro enough?

WHERE IS THE NEAREST STARBUCKS?

Which culture shock will be hardest: going there or coming back?

What do I do if I lose my passport… my mom will actually kill me.

How easy will my classes be?

How hard will my classes be?

Will I make friends?

Will this be like freshmen year all over again with Facebook groups and awkward icebreakers?

I can’t handle any more icebreakers.

EURO MEN AWAIT!

How long will it take before I get robbed?

There. Is. No. Peanut. Butter. In. Spain.

Source:

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/854d113a9e3cde5e3351117620545a5f9f 

Gabby is a senior at Boston College studying Marketing. She is a writer and a publicity team member for HerCampus BC. On campus, she is a Lead Heath Coach through the Office of Health promotion. She is also the Health and Wellness Coordinator for the Women In Business group. Her interests include nutrition, fitness, peanut butter, and Justin Timberlake. She studied in Sevilla, Spain for the 2014 Spring semester and is excited to return to her beloved Boston to finish off her Bean Town checklist before graduation!
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum