Third Eye Blind and Nelly Invade Conte: Successful Spring Concert?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

My high school soundtrack can be defined by one band: Third Eye Blind.  I remember driving through the back roads of Ohio, windows down, hair getting tangeled in the breeze as my friends and I belted the words to our favorite songs.  Needless to say, when I heard they were coming for the Spring Concert… I was pretty psyched.

Oh, and did I mention that last night was my first BC Spring/Fall concert?  Yeah, and I’m a junior.  So really, I didn’t quite know what to expect from the show.  But excited, you bet I was.

Although the show was quite enjoyable, Third Eye Blind did play my two faves, after all: “Slow Motion” and “Motorcycle Drive By;” and let’s be real, Nelly was a ton of hip-shakin-fun, I do have a question.  Why in the world was a concert held in Conte?  I know they’ve been doing this forever, and honestly, that leaves me further dumbfounded.  Why?  Because the acoustics were absolutely horrible.  For instance, when Third Eye Blind played “Faster,” I could hardly hear it well enough to sing along.  The sound mixing was completely off, as the drums and bass overpowered the lead guitar and singer, so we lost the melodic lines throughout their set.  Then, despite Nelly being easy on the eyes, I found him hard on the ears as his mic was so loud!  I practically had to cover my ears so they wouldn’t sting with every word he said or sang.

Yup.  I sound like my mother.  So that’s cool.

But it’s true.  I think the concert was a huge success in that UGBC brought two fun, crowd-pleasing acts to campus, and students seemed to have a fantastic time, but I do think it failed a bit in execution.  Perhaps in the future a different venue should be considered. 

Thoughts? Comment below!

Photo Source: Julianne Wojno

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.