The Things You Can Do At Home That You Can’t Do At School: Instead of…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

(WARNING: Sarcasm has been used in the writing of this article.)

You feel like a little ray of sunshine.  You’ve just completed your second final, and you still have three more to do.  While the sky is cloudy and dreary on the outside, there is not even the slightest feeling of a little black rain cloud hovering over your head.  You’re future is bright, and you are bubbling with confidence.  Crawling under the covers and living in denial could not be farther away.

Okay, so that may not be how you are feeling, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Less than a week to go and you will be out, free as a bird.  You will be able to do whatever you want! (Well, as long as it is not illegal… Now that’s just out of the question.)  Anyways, what are you going to do with this new found liberation? 

Here are some suggestions of what to do instead of…

Instead of studying in the library…. Go Outside!

Remember the things standing in between the buildings?  Those are trees.  Remember that green and brown stuff sitting on the ground?  That is grass.  Remember that thing that falls occasionally?  That is something called snow.  Winter break is the time to go outside and have fun!  Go for long walks and make puffs of fake smoke in the air.  Go and make snow angels.  You even make somethings called snowmen and wreaths. (Gasp!)  If you live in a warmer climate, you could go outside without a jacket.  (Bad idea though if you live towards the North.  Hypothermia = bad.)  The outdoors is something to be enjoyed.  I mean you have all the time in the world with global warming.

Instead of eating in the dining hall… Go Eat Delicious Food!

Here is a little known secret that I will share with you: food outside of the dining hall does exist, and in many cases, it tastes better.  (I know, right?)  Instead of wondering what exactly is in the food, the nice thing about home is that you know what the food is, where it came from, and who made it.  I mean I don’t know about you, but I like to know what I am eating.  The fact that food at home tastes good, kinda helps too.  With the option between salty, greasy food and yummy food, what would you choose?  The questionable food, right?

Alternatively, you can also eat at your beloved restaurants back home.  But, I mean who seriously ever wants to eat at their favorite places?  It’s not like they just happen to be on your list of places to visit or anything that you have been making since Thanksgiving.

Instead of relying on the bus or the T… Go for a Ride in a Car!

Cars are not just meant to be looked at longingly from the sidewalk.  You can actually ride in one over break.  For those of us not fortunate enough to have a car at BC, cars are actually a treat.  I mean do you really know anyone at BC, who would turn down a car ride?  (I sure don’t.)  Over break, you do not just have to wait for this rare moment, and you can practically be in a car everyday if you want to be.  You can even drive yourself. (I know, shocking.)  I mean doesn’t everyone hate soft seats, personal air conditioning/heating, and windows that open and close?

Instead of Virtually Contacting your Family and Friends at Home … Go and Actually See Your Family and Friends!

The Internet is a beautiful thing, as is Skype.  Do you really enjoy the pixilation and the delayed reaction?  (I know I do!)  At home, you can circumvent virtual interaction by replacing it with actual interaction face-to-face.  After becoming best buds with your books, this may seem difficult, but it is indeed possible.  Social interaction is a necessary part of life.  That may be hard to believe, but it is TRUE.  Humans are social beings, and as much as it pains us, we must be in communal situations.  So if we HAVE to do this, why not do it with the people that we love and care about?  Use winter break to spend time with these people because not only are you home, but you also have no homework to do.

Instead of going to class… Go to Fun Places!

I know you love your classes as much as you love your homework, essays, and exams, but you need to give that love affair a slight break.  There are places outside of the classroom that do exist.  You might even have fun.  (Shocker, right?)  Go to a movie, to your favorite stores, or to your local hangout.   Use this free time to do cool, fun things that are difficult to do within the academic routine.  If not, you may be kicking yourself once school starts again.

Winter break lasts only a few weeks.  Use it well.  Because we all make the right decisions because we’re perfect people… 

Think of me as your own personal, warped, sarcastic Jiminy Cricket. Go Out! Go Have Fun!  Trust me, you will not regret it. (No sarcasm right there.)

Here are the essentials:

This is not fun.

This is fun.

Get it?  It’s not brain surgery or rocket science.

Photo Sources:

http://accountingprofessor.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/studying-meme.jpg

http://dsc.discovery.com/pdi/files/2011/11/winter-outside-snowshoeing.jpg

http://gratefulpieter.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/grateful-119-my-mexican-moms-cooking-skills.jpg

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/MakeADiff_HTML/whites.jpg

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/thefw.com/files/2012/10/Movie-Theater.jpg

http://functions.wolfram.com/EllipticFunctions/ArithmeticGeometricMean/introductions/ArithmeticGeometricMean/05/13/imagetext/0058/text58.gif

http://www.stockpodium.com/stock-photo-8763000/friends-having-fun-winter-image.jpg

Danica is a senior at Boston College and is a History major with an Irish Studies minor.  She is originally from Greenwich, CT and moved to East Boothbay, ME.  She is also a member of Boston College Irish Dance and the Shaw Leadership Program.  And last but not least is a fiery redhead who lives in a dragon-guarded castle surrounded by a boiling lake of lava! But don't let that cool you off. She's a loaded pistol who likes piña coladas and getting caught in the rain. Yours for the rescuing: Princess Danica!  (And yes, that is a quote from Shrek...)
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.