Things That Guys Don’t Understand: The Process of Getting Ready

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The process of getting ready seems to be quite baffling for most guys.  Their constant complaints and comments about how long we take, how often we change, why we do that to our hair, etc., all point to this confusion.  I get it guys, you just can’t accept that it could possibly take us so much longer to get ready if you can do it in 5 or 10 minutes.  And while I can totally see how that might be frustrating, it’s really not an unbelievable idea.  Last time I checked, we’re pretty different from you guys.

I’d like to think that my explanation could end at the simple fact that we’re different.  However, I think I’m going to have to break it down.  So here are a few parts of our getting ready process and why they take us longer.

Picking an outfit:
The questions we get when picking out an outfit probably bother me the most.  Mostly because there is one
simple answer:  we don’t know what to wear.  That’s it.  I keep changing my shirt because I don’t know which one I want to wear.  Why is that so difficult to understand?  Not to mention that you guys basically have a uniform.  The only choices you have are: t-shirt or button down and jeans or khakis, both of which were probably bought for you by your mom.  I’d be dressed in 5 minutes too if that’s all I had to pick from- it’s not that impressive.  Also, what we wear often depends on a lot of other factors.  If I’m feeling kind of gross, I’m not gonna want to wear my tightest pencil skirt; if it’s cold, I can’t wear that tank top.  The only factor that you guys think about is if your favorite shirt smells clean enough to wear since I’m guessing you don’t trouble yourselves with doing laundry every week.

Doing our hair:
One of the most important parts of the getting ready process for most girls is doing their hair.  Are we going to straighten it?  Curl it?  Wear it up?  There are a lot of decisions to be made and then a lot to be done to make that hair style happen.  Most guys have one decision to make: hat or no hat?  While I’d love to just throw a hat on and skip burning my hair with a hot iron for 20 minutes, that’s just not how things work.  Although they might as well, considering guys rarely notices changes in our hair anyway… but that’s another issue.

Showering:
The difference here is in length.  Guys are always complaining about how long girls’ showers are and I really don’t see the problem.  Sorry we actually like to get clean.  I mean, how do you guys even do that in the 3 minutes you’re in there for?  Maybe we should be the ones questioning that instead.  Also, due to the fact that our hair is longer, it takes longer to wash.  Mind blowing, I know.

Putting on Makeup:
I’m not trying to say that you guys should understand this step because I realize that you don’t have to do it, but
you could give us a little credit for it.  I mean, we sit there and literally line our eyes with a pencil and curl our eyelashes in the equivalent of a torture device, and all you guys can do is complain that we took an extra 10 minutes?  You guys don’t even know what the makeup we use is, so how could you possibly make an assumption as to how long it takes to put on?  If you have to ask me what mascara is, I suggest you stop rushing me when I’m putting it on.

So guys, next time you want to complain about how long you were waiting for us, stop for a second.  Take a look at your t-shirt and mom-purchased pants and give us that 10 or 20 extra minutes.  I promise it won’t kill you.

Photo Sources:
http://theprettygirlsworld.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html
http://thebeautystop.com/tip-stop-dont-stop-the-straightening/
http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/how-to-wash-your-hair-10000001580355/page4.html

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.