Ten Signs It’s Winter in the Northeast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

So it’s getting to be that time of the year – the leaves are falling and the temperature is dropping. People are starting their winter traditions, and here are ten signs that winter has arrived!

1. Scarves and mittens are no longer just cute, they are a necessity! We now see people trying hard to cover any exposed skin with something warm and fuzzy!
  2. Breaking out the winter coats: If the mittens and gloves aren’t enough, we now see the emergence of the puffy quilted coat, the kind of coat that makes everyone look like a marshmallow.
  3. Turning on the heat: we are all way too familiar with Boston College waiting until the last minute to turn on the heat, but finally it is on! And for those of us living off campus, I know it sucks that now we must pay for our heat, but it’s getting to the point that six extra blankets just isn’t practical anymore!
  4. Timing your walks perfectly for the bus. Thanks to Transloc we can perfectly plan when the ultimate last moment is that we can leave the house and still make the bus so as to not stand in the cold for more time than necessary.
  5. People from “Not the Northeast” are all really excited for the first snow. Well, trust me guys, you have a lot to learn.
  6. Hearing these words “wow it feels like winter” when the weather hits between 30-40 degrees. I have spent my entire life in Massachusetts; it’s going to get much colder!
  7. That one roommate that is now under the impression that it is acceptable to play Christmas music all the time. Yes I get it, you are excited for the holidays.
  8. Making the conscience decision to skip class because your bed is so warm and cozy.
  9. It is now acceptable to drink hot cocoa for every meal.
  10. And of course boots, boots, oh and boots! You see that the winter staple is just every kind of boot imaginable. Short boots, tall boots, boy boots and girl boots! They are practical and fashionable. So everyone just wear boots.

So guys, if you have witnessed or done any of the things listed above, then you can be assured that winter has arrived.

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."