Take a Time Out with TED Talks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Some use Facebook and Twitter, others use BuzzFeed and Pinterest, but when I am looking to procrastinate take a break from homework, I turn to TED Talks.  If you don’t know what TED Talks is by now, rest assured you have indeed been missing out on one of the most amazing websites.  Focusing on “Technology, Entertainment, and Design,” TED Talks is a free website where you can view over 1,600 filmed speeches and talks designed to “stir your curiosity.”  Sound boring to you?  Don’t worry, I thought so too until I started listening to the many motivational, sometimes tear jerking, innovative, and above all, thoughtful speeches by a number of guests. I couldn’t stop myself.  An hour had gone by and I was still finding topics that piqued my interest.  So much for homework…

In all honestly, though, it’s healthy to take a break from work. However, instead of using that time to stalk your Facebook crush and all of his cousins or online shop your way to happiness, use that time to find inspiration through this website. To get you started on this new, soon-to-be obsession, here are a few of my absolute favorite talks!

1. Lizzie Velasquez (“The World’s Ugliest Woman”): How Do YOU Define You?

Although she has been labeled “The World’s Ugliest Woman,” you will be convinced that Lizzie Velasquez is the most beautiful and confident person you have ever seen with wisdom beyond her years.

2. Sam Berns: My Philosophy For a Happy Life                                                                                                                                                                                                    

If you are an avid Boston sports fan, you are sure to know about Sam Berns – a teenager who was born with a rare terminal disease, called Progeria, but who still managed to live his life to the fullest and absolutely loved Boston’s sports teams.  Although Sam sadly passed away this January, he still remains an inspiration to us all.

3. Pamela Meyer: How to Spot a Liar

I am the worst liar in the world, and this TED Talk segment further confirmed it. Still, it’s awesome to see the human psychology behind lying and learning how to spot when you’re being lied to!

4. David Gallo: Underwater Astonishments

This Earth is brilliant. I guarantee that you have never seen creatures like these at the New England Aquarium!

5. Hannah Brencher: Love Letters To Strangers

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, let’s not forget the power of the written love letter – especially when they are to strangers in need of help across the country.

The more you explore this website, the more amazing talks you find! The best part is, new videos are uploaded to TED Talks every day, making sure that your study breaks will always be met with the newest and most quality talks daily.  Have fun watching!

Photo Sources:

http://www.carolinejordanfitness.com/all-time-favorite-ted-talks-inspiration-in-your-inbox/

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ted-talks-education/photos-2/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62Aqdlzvqk

Boston College Class of 2016Communications and Political ScienceInterests include Legal Matter Management,  Matter Management
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum