Spring Break Destinations: New England Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Spring Break is almost here! Even though it feels like we got back to campus just yesterday, classes are in full swing and the work is starting to pile up. It’s about that time in the semester when you start to feel a little overwhelmed, wondering how on earth you will finish all that you have to do in time for March 1st. Only a few weeks away, Spring Break provides that much needed escape from the everyday stressors of school and the whirlwind that is campus life. 

You may have already heard the buzz around campus, and sure enough it will only get louder as the days leading up to Spring Break begin to count down. That group of seniors you walk behind on the quad talking about Punta Cana and how many mojitos they’ll be drinking by the pool, or the two sophomore girls in your science lecture who constantly whisper about how many bathing suits they’ll need as they online shop for the perfect bikinis; no matter what, you can’t escape the Spring Break buzz.

And then there’s you. No vacation plans. No bathing suit shopping. No hope to see the sun (at least not until April). You’re from New England and lucky for you, you’re going to be returning to the wintery tundra that you call “home” for all seven days of your supposed “Spring” Break. Sounds like a lot of fun, right? 

Last Spring Break, that person was me. While all my friends embarked on tropical vacations to Florida, or headed south to the Caribbean, I was stuck in my colonial house in the suburbs of Boston. With the only sunny forecast in sight being partly cloudy with a high of 27 degrees, I was less than enthused to be heading home for my first ever Spring Break of college. 

I spent the entire week curled up on my couch with a cup of hot cocoa and watched Netflix for hours on end. While my week was relaxing, I pledged to never come home from a Spring Break again. The more I thought about my first Spring Break, however, the more I realized that I really brought my boredom on myself. New England may be cold, but that’s no excuse not to travel during the one week of spring semester we get off. So here, my fellow New Englanders, are some travel destinations that you may pay a visit to that first week of March.

1. Head up North to Maine!

Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to spend some of my time in York, Maine. York Beach may be one of the biggest tourist beaches in Maine during the summer, but it is often overlooked in the winter months. Grab a friend and take a day trip up to this rocky coastal town. There is something about York in the winter that breathes an air of relaxation. Much more deserted in these colder months, this summer town is a perfect place to escape to for the day. Make sure you visit Nubble Light while you are up there, and grab a bite to eat at the Union Bluff Hotel. You will be happy that you got yourself out of the house, even if it’s just for an afternoon!

2. Visit Cape Cod, one of the best places on Earth (in my opinion)

While most people consider heading down to the Cape during the summer, I believe one of the best times to visit is during the winter. You don’t have to deal with traffic at the bridge, or annoying tourists who rush to get to the beaches right when they open. Instead, you can pick any town on the most beloved part of the Bay State and explore the real culture of the Cape. It’s hard to believe that people actually live down there all year long, and the summer is only home to those who choose to vacation at the beach. So get in the car and take a ride down with your dog. Walk your furry friend on the beach and breath in that oh-so-missed salty sea air. You never know what you may discover exploring the many beaches on the Cape.

3. The beautiful shores of Rhode Island

About an hour south of Boston, Newport, Rhode Island is a seaside city located on the shores of the Atlantic. Although it’s considered one of the best summer destinations for its famous Newport Mansions, this coastal escape should not be overlooked during the winter months. The Newport Mansions are even more glorious in the snow, and they can still be admired in the cold. While you are in Rhode Island, you may also want to visit some of your other college friends. Salve Regina, Providence College, and Roger Williams University are just a few schools located in this small state. So get off the couch, and go pay your friends–and the stunning mansions–a visit.

I hope that some of these places inspire you to do more with your Spring Break than I did with mine freshman year.  No matter where you travel, it’s the journey that you’ll remember and not so much the destination!

Photo Sources:

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv20032.php

http://www.stageneck.com/

http://chinnb.blogspot.com/2010/11/early-winter-detour-to-cape-cod.html

http://www.elaine-domesticbydesign.com/2011_01_01_archive.html

Shannon is currently in her junior year at BC.  She is majoring in Elementary Education and English, hoping to one day teach in an urban school.  Originally from Hopkinton, MA, one of Shannon's favorite things to do is tell people that her hometown is the start of the Boston Marathon - it's claim to fame!  In her free time, you can find Shannon cuddled up somewhere with her adorable giraffe-spotted mug.
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."