The “Skinny” on BC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With the birth of BC Confessions, the issue of eating on campus has been called into light.  When scanning this page on Facebook, one sees comments like: “Since coming to BC, I haven’t eaten more than 400 calories a day;” “I think I might have an eating disorder;” and “I’m only eating once a day until I lose weight. I’m fully aware of the harm I’m doing to my body, but it’s worth it.”  Many more students have anonymously confessed to their own battles issues with food on this page.  I spoke with BC nutritionist Sheila Tucker as well as fellow BC students about these issues, their views on this topic, and ways you can get help for yourself or a friend.

First, I spoke with many BC students to ask for their opinion on this subject and if they feel the pressure to fit the “BC image.”  Some of their responses are included below.

“Do you think there is a warped image of what a ‘BC’ girl is supposed to be, and do you feel pressure to fit that image?”

BC Student 1: When I think of a BC student, I think of skinny but with an athletic look.  There are a lot of skinny girls here, which makes you feel pressure to be skinny and work out.

BC Student 2: I guess I would say that there’s is a pressure to look good—I view it more like a general motivation to work out.  A lot of people on campus work out and it’s motivating to go to the gym and work out with friends.

BC Student 3: I think there is a pressure to look perfect and the hardworking personality at this school makes it likely that girls will go to the extreme to get what they want.

BC Student 4: I definitely think there is a warped image.  Before coming to BC, I never worried about what I ate or if I worked out.  However, after being here I feel that people are so worried about looks and being skinny.

BC Student 5: I do think there is a warped conception of what girls should look like on this campus.  I think that many girls at BC are pressured to be skinny and fit and to show their face at the Plex everyday.  My perception of skinny has definitely changed since coming to BC.

I then spoke to the nutritionist here at BC, Sheila Tucker, and asked her questions on the topic as well.  She first explained that it is important to know there is a difference between an eating disorder and disordered eating:  “Many students suffering from issues with food may not meet the medical and psychological criteria for an eating disorder diagnosis; however, they may suffer from disordered eating.  Disordered eating is more the term that should be used when simply talking about an unhealthy relationship with food, but where clinically diagnostic criteria are not met.  Disordered eating covers behaviors like chronic dieting, restricting intake all week to save up for alcohol calories on the weekend, taking diet pills or laxatives in an attempt to control weight, excessive body scrutiny and entanglement of body image with self-esteem.”

Would you say there is a higher than normal number of eating disorders or cases of disordered eating at BC then at other colleges?

Sheila: We do not have any statistics that reflect the incidence of eating disorders on this campus.  I think some people use the term ‘eating disorders’ too lightly.  There are strict medical and psychological criteria that need to be met for this diagnosis.  I often see these disordered eating behaviors in my clinical practice – but again, we have no statistics to compare disordered eating on this campus with other campuses.

What resources are available to BC students who need to talk to someone about their body/food issues?

Sheila: Boston College has a great team of clinicians that are all resources for students.  I am available as the nutritionist for the university and have a clinical practice two days a week.  There are terrific psychologists in Counseling Services who work with students about body image issues and eating disorders/disordered eating.  Likewise, we have a great team in Health Services who evaluate and monitor students with medical consequences from their eating issues.  Together, we function as a clinical team and take care of the student as a whole.  Sometimes, students require more intense treatment than can be provided in a university setting, and we make the recommendation for higher level treatment and help with referrals to outside programs.

Boston College nutritionist, Sheila Tucker

If you are trying to get help for a friend, you can:

1. Refer your friend to Sheila Tucker, Counseling Services, the Women’s Resource Center, or Health Services
  2. Go to your RA or RD in the dorm to help you with these referrals

Your role as a friend is to:

1. Be a friend, not a clinician.  It’s important that your conversation with your friend focuses on care and concern.  Focus on what might be different in the friendship or in the person’s behavior, saying things like, “we miss having you join us for dinner” or “I’m worried that you say you have no appetite.”
  2. Keep the conversation full of “I” statements, not “you” statements.  For example, say “I’m worried that you are too skinny” as opposed to “you are too skinny.”  This will help things from feeling like an attack on your friend.
  3. Expect that the friend may not be open to the conversation at first or at all.  It’s important to be gentle and do not take any reaction personally.  If the conversation does not go well or ends with no conclusion, let your friend know that you are still concerned and that you will be checking in with him/her again in a few days or a week… and then be sure to follow through on it.

For a friend who seems in physical danger, DON’T hesitate to let them know of your worries and that if they are not wanting to talk to someone on campus about it, you will need to talk to their parents or your Resident Director or will be making an appointment for yourself to talk to one of the clinicians on campus about what to do.

So if you or your friend here at BC has or had a body image issues or struggles with eating disorders/disordered eating, know you’re not alone and there are many people you can turn to for help.

• To reach Sheila Tucker you can email her at sheila.tucker@bc.edu
 or call her at 617-552-2176.  You can also reach the Office of Health Promotions by calling 617-552-9900 or emailing healthpromotion@bc.edu
  • To make an appointment with a health coach, fill at a form at http://www.bc.edu/offices/heal…
  • An appointment can be made with counseling services by calling 617-552-3310 or by visiting our office in Gasson 001 during our regular office hours (Monday through Friday, 8:45 AM to 4:45 PM). Please keep in mind that appointments cannot be made for a friend.

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/BostonCollegeConfessions?fref=ts

http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/healthpro/nutrition-counseling.html

http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/o…

Katherine ValentinoSenior in A&S English Major Minor in American Studies, concentration in journalism 
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.