The Sex Files #30: The Year in Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This Year In Review: Reproductive Health

As we come to the end of the academic year, many of us reminisce on the great times we’ve had this past year at BC. Most recently, six thousand of us were graced with Macklemore’s presence at Modstock, but there’s also been Homecoming, ALC Showdown, and who could forget the awesome times at Roggie’s for BC Students for Sexual Health’s trivia night?!

Although we’ve all made some pretty wonderful memories this year, behind the scenes, there have been several really incredible measures taken towards more comprehensive reproductive health and justice around the world. Here are a few examples of some of recent advances in reproductive health that will undoubtedly affect many of us:

The FDA approves “Plan B” for over-the-counter purchase

For women aged 15 and above, the FDA has authorized the emergency contraceptive “Plan B” to be available without a prescription. This decision will make it so much easier for women to obtain “Plan B,” and lowering the age restriction from 17 and older to 15 and older will benefit a larger group of women.

“Plan B” is an emergency contraceptive, that, when taken within 72 hours after unprotected sex or after another birth control method fails, may prevent pregnancy. Remember, it should be used in emergency situations, and it is not recommended to be used as a primary birth control method.

Cured of HIV?

A two year-old girl who was born to a mother with HIV and who tested HIV-positive has been “functionally cured” due to extensive doses of anti-AIDS medication that began 20 hours after her birth. Now, after two years, clinical blood tests cannot detect HIV in her body.

This interesting case is a major step forward for treating HIV-infected persons, as it appears the rapid onset of the anti-AIDS drugs did more than prevent HIV from becoming AIDS — it cured a person of the virus completely.

The Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health Act of 2012 passes in the Philippines

Sure, the Philippines are halfway across the world, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect native BC students and our larger climate of reproductive health. A law commonly referred to in the Philippines as the “Reproductive Health Law” was passed in 2012 after review by the government for almost a year. This bill sets a new precedent for the people of the Philippines, for it guarantees universal access to methods on contraception, fertility control, sexual education, and maternal care.

Over 68 percent of the country was in support of government-issued contraceptive methods, after a period in which population growth in the Philippines was more rapid than economic growth due to the hardship of affording contraception. Now, the government is working on viable ways to distribute contraceptives to its populace so that the Philippines does not become overcrowded.

“The Pill” for men may soon be available

Until now, the only contraceptive measures men could take included and were limited to condoms, a vasectomy, and abstinence. Now, researchers say, a new drug may eliminate sperm count for men — thereby becoming the counterpart to “the pill” for females.

This drug, nicknamed JQ1, works by binding to a gene only found in the male testes. This gene, when switched off, decreased sperm count by almost 90% in mice. Scientists will undoubtedly need to improve the drug to get rid of a sperm count completely if it is likely to be approved as a contraceptive; however, this early study has shown remarkable progress toward a “new” type of contraception!

There have been some wonderful advances in reproductive health across many facets throughout the past school year. It may not be in the forefront of our minds while dealing with school and work and the like, but it is definitely worth noticing, as reproductive health affects many of us at some point in our lives.

This summer, we encourage you to keep yourself well informed about this facet of your health, which can be really important! Many news websites have a section devoted to sexual and reproductive health, and reviewing the same may help give you useful knowledge to keep your body safe over the summer.

Good luck with finals, everyone, and enjoy the upcoming vacation!

Love and lube,

BC Students for Sexual Health

Sources:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/f…

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/03/…

http://www.economist.com/blogs…

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki…

The blog account for BC Students for Sexual Health! www.bcssh.com
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.