See Boston in the Spring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Whether you’re staying in Boston after finals or if you just want to soak up the sun for the last couple weeks of school, there are fun ways to break out of the BC bubble and embrace springtime in Boston!

1.     Check out the Common!

Once April showers have brought May flowers, go for a stroll in the park or a ride in one of the swan boats at the Boston Public Garden.  The Boston Common is Boston’s oldest (and may I say prettiest?) public park.  The swan boats, established in 1877, are a fun way to explore the public garden with some friends or that special someone.  With all the tulips in full bloom and draping trees standing tall with skyscrapers behind, it’s the perfect place to unwind and enjoy a book in the shade.

2.     Walk the Freedom Trail!

Probably everyone who grew up in Massachusetts, every Boston tourist, and virtually every Boston-area college student has heard of the Freedom Trail.  The 2.5-mile red brick path leads you to 16 sites significant in American History and the American Revolution.  Even if you aren’t a history buff, it’s a great way to explore Boston and learn about the rich history of the city you inhabit.  It’s a great thing to do with family or friends (just make sure it’s a nice day).

3.      Boston Sports

That’s right, with spring comes baseball season!  Home of the Boston Red Sox, Fenway Park is located just a couple stops down from BC on the D line.  Grab some friends and find  some tickets for a fun night at the ballgame.  If you aren’t a Red Sox fan, grab some tickets when your team is playing, but proceed with caution (Red Sox fans may not appreciate your presence).  There’s also some time to root for the Celtics during playoff season!

4.      Run the Res

Okay, it’s not exactly far outside the BC bubble but it sure is beautiful.  If you run down Beacon Street in the opposite direction of Newton Center (which is also a great spot to grab a bite to eat or some J.P. Licks), you’ll hit the Chestnut Hill Reservoir.  On a spring day, a run is a great way to relieve some of the stress of finals.  It’s about 1.5 miles all the way around, but it’s a great alternative to the sweaty Plex on a beautiful day.  The Res makes for a scenic and peaceful place to fit some exercise into your busy schedule!

5.      Newbury

Now that the nice weather is here (and hopefully here to stay), grab your girlfriends and go for a day of pampering along historic Newbury Street.  There are plenty of restaurants, spas, and stores to keep you going all day or until you drop.  A fun day of shopping and Pinkberry frozen yogurt could be just what you need before the dog days of summer arrive.

So why wait?  Go explore and enjoy all that Boston has to offer before you either return home for the summer or begin your summer internship… but don’t forget to study for finals!

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.