Rusted Revolution: Easy Ways to Add Color to Your Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Allow us to introduce ourselves:  Our names are Lucy McBride
and Lesley Burr.  We’re two bloggers with a love for fashion, among other things.  Our site, Rusted Revolution, began as a side project – a hobby through which we could channel our observations on fashion, music, travel, food, and the arts, sharing them with whomever cared to look.  Since RR’s birth in early September 2010, a growing Internet following has encouraged us to provide our readers with consistent news, trends, and reflections in the vast realm that is pop culture.

As human beings, it’s in our nature to stick to what’s comfortable.  While the world of fashion can be intimidating in and of itself, a typical subject of concern for many is how to incorporate color into one’s wardrobe.  Indeed, for most (myself included), neutral tones are safe territory; even for those who seek to be sartorially innovative, black, navy, and taupe are practically foolproof shades that suit almost any occasion.

Well, fear not, because Rusted Revolution is here to remind you that color is your friend – and not just “complementary” colors like powder blue and burgundy….BOLD colors like blood orange, canary yellow, and azure blue.  Scared yet?  We kid, we kid. In this article, we’ll show you some easy ways in which you can incorporate bright pops of color in your outfits without looking like you’re a member of Cirque du Soleil.  Although it might seem strange at first, we promise that your colorful ensembles will earn you some second glances (the positive kinds, of course!).

First, determine your color.  If your wardrobe selection is lacking in shade variation, take time to reflect before a shopping trip.  If you’re seeking some inspiration, try envisioning a colorful food, flower, or exotic place.  I myself was awed by the vibrant shades of lemons and oranges in Italy.  Ever been to India, or at least seen Slumdog Millionaire?  Try to recollect the beautiful shades of scarves and saris worn by the local women in the film.  If you’re having trouble doing this, Google some images or pop in a movie.  We understand that this may sound strange, but nurturing inspiration is key for creating a vision that will allow you to feel comfortable and confident in your colorized outfit.  If you’re really stuck, our personal favorites are bright orange, yellow, neon pink, and azure blue – these shades are pretty popular, and pretty easy to find. 

• Accessorize: 

Accessorizing is the easiest way to push fashion boundaries without tipping the scale.  Bangles, scarves, bags… the list of possibilities is practically endless.  Accessorizing is definitely the easiest way to take a color risk, making it a great place for you newbies to start.  If you’ve found your color, it’s time to choose an accessory.  

In this chilly weather, tights are a foolproof option.  Opaque tights under a dress, skirt, or shorts are an extremely easy way to add understated color.  I own a pair of purple, turquoise, and orange tights that I rock under monotone dresses, skirts, and shorts.  American Apparel’s Opaque Pantyhose come in over 20 colors, so you’re bound to find one to suit your mood. 

Brightly colored scarves are also extremely easy to find in stores, at markets, and online.  Some of my favorite scarves have come from Amazon – try the Pashmina Scarf Shawl Wrap Throw, which comes in some great blues and greens.  When you accessorize with color, just be sure not to overdo it – this means keeping the rest of your outfit relatively tame in terms of patterns and shades so that crazy color pops.

• Try a Beauty Product: 

While cosmetics are intended to enhance natural beauty, they are also artistic tools for applying color in strategic places.  I’m sure you guys have seen photos of runway models with wildly dramatic makeup; yes, this is inappropriate for an everyday beauty routine, but these looks can be modified to look pretty and just subtly dramatic.  Consider attempting a bold red, burgundy, or candy fuchsia lip. 

Like to play up your eyes? Swipe electric liquid liner over your upper lash-line or work a magenta or teal shadow into your crease.  For some drugstore quickies, try Wet n’ Wild’s Mega Liner Liquid Eyeliner in blue, turquoise or plum, and Revlon’s Colorburst Lipstick in Cherry Ice or Fuschia.  Feel like spending more? The pigmentation of Illamasqua’s Lipstick in Blaze, Plunge, and Resist, and Urban Decay’s Liquid Liner in Acid Rain, Minx, and Radium definitely make the cut. 

If you’re really not into makeup, a foolproof way to jump on the color trend is with a bright shade of polish!  We at RR are really loving canary yellow, emerald green and azure blue at the moment.  Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Nail Polish is a go-to staple (we recommend the shade “Blue It”). 

Experimenting with these colors should be fun!  Just remember to keep the rest of your makeup neutral (think bold lip with minimal makeup on the eyes or vice versa), and keep the look seasonally appropriate.  Definitely don’t try this color trend when you’re in a rush; rather, experiment first at home when you have time so you get a feel for the look.  Hate the result? Easy, just wash it off.

• Look to lingerie:

I know this may sound strange, but hear me out.  Our recent Her Campus article gave you the low-down on the do’s and don’ts of bra exposure, and from it I hope you’ve concluded that there are tasteful (and not-so-tasteful) ways to do this.  (Our favorite is the deep armhole.) 

That being said, a colorful lace bra or bandeau, like the Cheeky Lace Bra or the Lace Trim Bandeau from Free People, is a really fun and unexpected way to add a hint of dramatic color to an outfit.  You can either wear your colored bra so that it peeks through the side of a deep armhole tank, or even exposed through a sheer top.  When showing your bra, you really have to be strategic in choosing the rest of your outfit – as in NOTHING too tight or revealing – this is all about balance!

• Shoes:

Ahhh shoes.  Everyone loves a new pair of shoes.  If you’re tired of rocking the same black and brown boots on the weekdays and black heels on the weekend, it might be time for a color upgrade.  I LOVE spotting a girl wearing a monochromatic outfit topped off with bright, bold shoes on the bottom.  The look is unexpected, understated, and totally innovative. 

Again, this look is SUPER easy to achieve.  Forever 21 usually hits the nail on the head with affordable colored shoes; we love the “Distressed Cutout Heels” in jade or the “Closed Toe Patent Leatherette Pumps” in blue.  If you’re willing to spend a bit more, try Steve Madden’s “Katrina Pump” in red or royal blue.  You can also keep it casual with some classic Converse, which come in virtually every color of the rainbow (we like the Waterfall, Melon, and Yellow colors).

We hope that now you feel inspired to sack some of the boring colors in your closet and hit the stores in search of some vibrant hues.  Studies show that exposure to bright colors actually improves your mood, so you might as well experiment in the name of fashion and psychological well-being.  Just remember to keep your look balanced; the color should pop, not overpower your look or blind oncoming traffic.  Have fun!

Photo Sources:
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-articles/top-spring-trends-new-york
http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/11211Smallcheckpants_0080Web.jpg
http://www.eyeshadowlipstick.com/category/yellow-eyeshadow/page/26/
http://www.mtv.com/photos/red-carpet-radar-the-hills-best-looks/1643564/5022836/photo.jhtml

Lucy McBride is the co-founder and writer of Rusted Revolution, a fashion, music, and arts blog she maintains with Lesley Burr. Born and raised in Long Island, New York, Lucy developed an early eye for the arts which inspired her to relocate to a bigger city, where she attended Marymount School of New York in Manhattan. In 2007 Lucy enrolled in Boston College to pursue a French major and an International Studies Minor with a concentration in Global Cultural Studies. Lucy has since perfected her French language skills and gained a strong understanding of Italian. Through various courses in International Studies, she has developed a strong understanding of the cultural, literary, economic, and political undertones of places such as Rome, where she lived and studied for a spring semester. Between her travels through Eastern and Western Europe, Lucy studied Art History, Italian, Opera, and Photography in Rome. In 2007 and 2008, Lucy worked as a U.S. Beauty Marketing Intern for Avon Products, Inc. within their Wellness division; here, she played an active role in the formulation, design and promotion of Avon Wellness products, as well as served as a company correspondent. Since the fall of 2008, Lucy has worked as a Sales Associate for Free People Boston during the school year and Free People Roosevelt Field during winter and fall breaks. As a member of the Free People community, Lucy plays an integral part in sales, customer service, marketing, and visual design. She has achieved the title of “Top Selling Associate” several times. Lucy is passionate about style as an individual art form which encourages individuality, expression, and inspiration. Her guilty pleasures include watching reality television, red velvet cake, and updating her ridiculous large and cumbersome perfume collection.