Style > Beauty

Rusted Revolution: 5 Extremely Odd Beauty Products That You Should (But Otherwise Never Would) Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Allow us to introduce ourselves:  Our names are Lucy McBride
and Lesley Burr.  We’re two bloggers with a love for fashion, among other things.  Our site, Rusted Revolution, began as a side project – a hobby through which we could channel our observations on fashion, music, travel, food, and the arts, sharing them with whomever cared to look.  Since RR’s birth in early September 2010, a growing Internet following has encouraged us to provide our readers with consistent news, trends, and reflections in the vast realm that is pop culture.

I’m a girl who’s always up for trying something new, whether it involves engaging in an athletic activity, viewing an indie film, sampling an exotic food, incorporating a peculiar fashion trend in my outfit, or in this case, using a WEIRD product on my face for cosmetic purposes. However, as a lover of all things relating to beauty and style (and an avid reader of print and internet publications dedicated to the subject), I am well schooled on the basics of product cosmetology that the media feeds its hungry followers who are continually searching for the industry’s newest “miracle product.”

For example, when it comes to cosmetics, years of pouring over Allure and Cosmo have taught me about “cult favorites” such as Smith’s Rosebud Salve, Urban Decay Primer Potion, Bare Minerals Foundation, and LipFusion Plumping Gloss.  I know Reese Witherspoon’s favorite blush, Rachel Bilson’s eyeliner of choice, and where Gisele likes to get facials when she’s in NYC.  While this information is indeed entertaining and enlightening, one must consider the influence of advertising when it comes touting such “miraculous” products, brands, and services in a magazine or on a website; moreover, it does little for a girl who can’t afford to drop 30 bucks on a lipcolor.

A few years ago, I stumbled upon an internet beauty forum where registered users discuss their favorite products and brands.  I was instantly intrigued and inclined to dive further into the depths of their conversations; some of the following discoveries that I made both horrified and shocked me.  These women were using products intended for much less glamorous means to make themselves more beautiful.  I mean, I was accustomed to reading about how eggs, honey, and yogurt are great for your skin and olive oil for your hair… even the toothpaste-on-a zit trick… but this was a whole other level of weird.  Being the crazy lady that I am, I decided to try some of these odd and slightly unsettling products.  Lo and behold, I discovered some of my favorite products, many of which I have now been using for years.  

Without further ado, I bring you my 5 Extremely Odd Beauty Products That You Should (But Otherwise NEVER Would) Try.  Why?  Because these products deliver dynamite results at an extremely low cost.  I respect your intimidation, but if you don’t give ’em a try, I guarantee you’ll be missing out.

1.  Milk of Magnesia – If you know what this stuff is typically used for, please don’t freak out.  This bright blue bottle of liquid laxative is actually one of the best facial mattifiers I have EVER encountered.  I’ve always suffered from a shiny face; I remember trying this trick out of desperation when I was only 15 (and had no idea what I was actually applying to my face until after I read the label).  The horror following my discovery was soon dispelled by my newfound joy at my lovely matte complexion. Milk of magnesia is a thick white liquid substance, but it dries to a semi-sheer finish. I usually rub a miniscule amount of product on my t-zone and take ample time to buff it out (otherwise it will leave a white cast).  While this is kind of annoying, I’ll definitely keep using it since it helps control my oily face better than any other expensive product I’ve tried.

2.  Lansinoh HPA Lanolin (for Breast-Feeding Mothers) – This was my most recent (and probably best) discovery.  You’re lucky I’m sharing this because it’s pretty much the best-kept beauty secret ever.  Now as you’ve probably deduced, I am not a breast-feeding mother for which this super-hydrating balm is intended.  With a consistency a tad bit thicker than Aquaphor, this stuff will moisturize your lips to such an intense degree that they’ll feel like butter, with the added bonus that your lipcolor or gloss will apply much more smoothly (no exfoliating necessary).  Lansinoh can be difficult to find, but I usually grab it from the “Baby Care” aisle at Target, Rite Aid, and CVS. 

3.  PolysporinPolysporin is an anti-bacterial ointment used to treat and prevent infection in minor skin wounds.  If you consider its healing and cleansing properties, applying Polyspoin to a zit you’ve aggressively picked at (perhaps to the point of bleeding) seems to make sense, no?  The majority of us (I’m the worst) have a terrible habit of touching, picking, and scratching at our faces whenever we see an unsightly bump or blemish; we’ve all heard from dermatologists, beauty gurus, friends, and parents that this leads to bleeding, irritation, infection, and scarring, yet we do it anyway.  Over the years of obsessive facial fingernail jabbing, I’ve found that Polysporin really helps speed up the healing process and mostly (if not entirely) prevents scars from forming.  Apply the ointment several times a day for the quickest and best results.

4.  Aspirin – Aspirin, the classic painkiller, has been around for ages.  Well, I’m here to inform you that those dusty white pills hiding in the corner of your bathroom cabinets can be used topically to exfoliate and brighten your faces while simultaneously treating and preventing acne.  Sounds awesome, right?  Extensive internet research in my high school years taught me that aspirin’s main metabolite is actually salicylic acid (an ingredient I’m sure you’ve tried in anti-acne products).  Uncoated aspirin’s solvability is what transforms it from pill to product; simply mix a few pills with a bit of warm water to create a grainy scrub and leave it to dry on your face as a mask.  You can even go a step further and dissolve 10-15 pills with warm water in a plastic bottle, using the solution as a toner.  Before you experiment with aspirin, just a couple of heads up:

•  The mask can be very “dusty” upon drying, causing you to sneeze if you are plagued with allergies (this happens to me).  If you don’t mind a few “a-choos,” the results are worth it!

•  As I mentioned before, get the uncoated aspirin – coated aspirin will not dissolve, and you’ll just end up frustrated.

•  Don’t go overboard – salicylic acid, when used too frequently and too abundantly, can cause irritation to the skin (be very wary of this fact if you know you have sensitive skin).  Everybody’s skin is different, so you need to acknowledge your tolerance level and gauge how often to do the mask and/or toner according to what works for you.

5.  Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel – My final strange beauty product is a total gem.  While chafing is terrible on any and all levels, this “powder-gel” is far better used as a facial primer before your foundation.  Yep, you heard me correctly.  The ingredients in Monistat’s Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gelare are almost IDENTICAL to those found in Smashbox’s Photofinish Primer, among other silicone primers that typically retail for $30-$60 at Sephora and other department stores.  I don’t know the identity of the individual who made this genius discovery, but props to her.  If more people knew about this, Smashbox and other powerhouse cosmetic brands would probably go out of business.  As usual, I was skeptical myself, but having used up my irritatingly pricey Photofinish Primer, I was willing to give this a go for ten bucks.  TOTAL SUCCESS.  Monistat can be found in the “Feminine Care” aisle right by those lovely and overwhelming tampon displays. 

Well ladies, there you have it.  You might be alarmed, confused, disgusted and intimidated.  On the other hand, if you’re adventurous like me, you might be anxious to experiment with some new products you can find at your local drugstore (or perhaps already own).  Who knows, solving some of your most pressing beauty woes might be easier (and stranger) than you think.  If I spot you at the CVS in Cleveland Circle picking up some milk of magnesia, don’t worry, I won’t assume you’re constipated.  In fact, I’ll probably be right beside you restocking on some for myself.

Photo Sources:
Monistat:  http://review-monistat-face-primer.uncensoredguides.com/
Milk of Magnesia:  http://www.pantryspa.com/beauty-remedies/face-remedies/dr-oz-paula-begoun-milk-of-magnesia-face-mask-for-oily-skin/
Lansinoh Lanolin:  http://www.breastfeedingmomsunite.com/2009/08/lansinoh-products-review-hpa-lanolin-diaper-rash-ointment-and-wipes/
Aspirin:  http://topnews.net.nz/content/210569-aspirin-could-cut-cancer-death-rates
Polysporin:http://www.drugsdepot.com/catalog.php/drugsdepot/dt15517/POLYSPORIN

Lucy McBride is the co-founder and writer of Rusted Revolution, a fashion, music, and arts blog she maintains with Lesley Burr. Born and raised in Long Island, New York, Lucy developed an early eye for the arts which inspired her to relocate to a bigger city, where she attended Marymount School of New York in Manhattan. In 2007 Lucy enrolled in Boston College to pursue a French major and an International Studies Minor with a concentration in Global Cultural Studies. Lucy has since perfected her French language skills and gained a strong understanding of Italian. Through various courses in International Studies, she has developed a strong understanding of the cultural, literary, economic, and political undertones of places such as Rome, where she lived and studied for a spring semester. Between her travels through Eastern and Western Europe, Lucy studied Art History, Italian, Opera, and Photography in Rome. In 2007 and 2008, Lucy worked as a U.S. Beauty Marketing Intern for Avon Products, Inc. within their Wellness division; here, she played an active role in the formulation, design and promotion of Avon Wellness products, as well as served as a company correspondent. Since the fall of 2008, Lucy has worked as a Sales Associate for Free People Boston during the school year and Free People Roosevelt Field during winter and fall breaks. As a member of the Free People community, Lucy plays an integral part in sales, customer service, marketing, and visual design. She has achieved the title of “Top Selling Associate” several times. Lucy is passionate about style as an individual art form which encourages individuality, expression, and inspiration. Her guilty pleasures include watching reality television, red velvet cake, and updating her ridiculous large and cumbersome perfume collection.