This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.
Don’t press snooze.

Don’t do it.

If you had a bad pick time, or had to take a class that was only available at an early time (i.e. before 10 a.m), this article is for you. If you have difficulty waking up before 9 a.m., this article is also for you. 

During my first and second semester of freshman year, I took 8 a.m. classes. Early morning classes consist of two types of people: the kids who are morning people, or the kids who got stuck with the class time. If you are one of those who hates your 8 a.m. class, I’m willing to believe there’s a chance you don’t hate the class, you really just hate the time.

Many people questioned my decision to take an 8 a.m. class freshman year. I was always hearing, “Why do you take 8 a.m. classes?” or “Yo, that sucks.” Well to be completely honest, they really don’t. Usually when I had an 8 a.m. class on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays, I would schedule all of my classes back to back so I would go from class to class with only a ten-minute gap in between, usually ending my school day by noon. Additionally, if I took a 9 a.m. class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I’d be sure to schedule a 10:30 class as well, so I would still finish my schedule by noon.

When I would finish class by noon, I would have the whole afternoon and evening free to do homework, study, work at my job, go to the Plex, run errands, do laundry, and (most importantly) watch some good ol’ Netflix.  Some people would rather sleep in the extra hour or two (or three) rather than schedule an 8 a.m. class but honestly, they really aren’t that bad. It is the norm in college to go to sleep late, usually around 12-1 a.m., and yes, that is late to me. I try to go to bed around 10 -11 p.m. so I can get in my full eight hours of sleep before my early morning wake-up.

Imagine this: doing laundry on a weekday, when everyone’s in class and you can pick and choose which washer and dryer to use!

I am not trying to coerce you into taking 8 a.m classes, BUT, I say if there’s a class that you need to take which just happens to be at 8 a.m., give it a try! Coffee is always an option; we have Peet’s and now Starbucks, so there’s really no excuse. If you happen to get tired throughout the day, you always have the option to take a power nap (because after a hard day of work, you deserve a power nap). This is especially true if you have had a whole day’s work completed before many kids even wake up. When all your friends are strolling out of bed at 11 a.m. for their class at noon, you will have already finished all of your classes for the day. 

Now, you’re basically crowned queen for the day because you did what you thought was impossible: survived an 8 a.m. class! Don’t let a class time ever scare you away!

Photo Sources:

Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!        
Emily Boches is currently a student at Boston College, majoring in Communications with a minor in Philosophy. She is also hoping to become a Veterinarian in the future. Emily is originally from Massachusetts, just 30 minutes outside of Boston. Her small city lies right on the coast where the beach is no more than 2 minutes away. She spends her free time getting addicted to shows on Netflix (it happens to the best of us), napping, and taking Buzzfeed quizzes.