Preparation Winter: Surviving the Cold in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Who can forget the record amount of snow we got during last year’s New England winter?  As a freshman, I was not prepared for Mother Nature’s powdery white temper tantrum.  This winter, I am a year older and a year wiser.  Although so far we have had seasonally warm temperatures, I wouldn’t trust that winter is going to stay that way.  Winter is a long season because of everyone’s anticipation for spring.  Walking the streets of Boston in the middle of winter can be a miserable adventure if you’re not properly clothed.  Here’s how to stay cute and warm during those blustery winter days:

Cute Mittens!
Who says you’re too old for mittens?  Mittens are a timeless way to keep your hands and fingers toasty. Whether you’re ice skating on the Boston Commons Frog Pond or strolling down Newbury, mittens are a cute alternative to gloves.  Check out these sweet cupcake mittens from Urban Outfitters!

Smart Gloves
With these gloves you can manage any touch screen device and stay warm.  No more holding your gloves in your mouth in the middle of the street while trying to check your email, scroll down your newsfeed, or change the song on your iPod. Check out these Echo “Touch” Ruffled Gloves!  You can’t beat the price of $35. These gloves are truly a smart choice! With feminine ruffles and cozy wool material, these gloves are stylish, practical, and warm!

Long Coats
My long puffy down coat, although maybe not the most fashion conscious purchase in my wardrobe, has proved time after time to be a wise investment.  You can wear these coats in almost any weather condition: rain, snow, wind, or just frigid temperatures.  These coats are a sensible choice and will definitely keep the majority of your body warm in the other windy city known as Boston.

Cowl Neck Scarves
These fashionable articles help keep your neck covered underneath jackets that don’t zip all the way up to your face.  They are trendy, warm, and comfortable.  Etsy.com, a website in which designers can sell their homemade clothing and creations, offers an array of cold weather-worthy scarves at reasonable prices.  If you feel creative, you can even learn how to knit this cozy accessory yourself!  Your neck will be nice and warm in this very haute couture way to cover up.

Snow Boots
Although we live in a city, we also live on a college campus.  Campus friendly shoes, especially in the wintertime, are perhaps one of the most important things you’ll spend your money on.  As college students, we walk almost everywhere.  When it snows, it is important to keep your feet dry, warm, and happy.  Your day will be miserable if you’re trudging around main campus stepping in a soppy puddle.  Although BC does a good job clearing the walkways, snow boots also have descent traction if there is also ice.  To ensure your safety, warmth, and fabulous fashion sense, invest in a slick pair of snow boots.  (Your feet will thank-you!)  Check out The North Face Women’s Nuptse Fur IV Winter Boot for under $100!

Hats/Headbands
Last but not least, it’s stated that the majority of heat in your body is lost through the top of your head.  That being said, a cute hat or headband to brave the cold is a simple necessity. The BC Bookstore offers a lot of options and now carries The North Face!  A leading trend is wool knit headbands with either a bow or a flower stitched or crocheted on the side.  It is a warm way to make a statement and have people giving you compliments all day long, (make sure you return the favor and compliment them on their hopefully fabulous winter wear)!

New England winters have the potential to be dreary and unbearably cold.  However, they don’t have to be that way!  Try some of these winter trends to stay warm and stylish.  Brighten up the doldrums of wintertime with bright accessories and a smile on your way to class!  Bring on the March snowstorms!

Photo Sources:
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/womens-nuptse-fur-iv.html

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.