Pinterest Fun Fridays at Foster

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Hi all! This is the first entry of a series I’ll be doing on a weekly basis. Basically, I’ll try a Pinterest recipe or DIY project and you all get to tag along to see how it goes (for better or worse). Check out Her Campus BC’s Pinterest Board to get a sneak peak on what I’ll be trying out, then check back later on our website to see how it went! I’ll also give my personal opinion of each experience at the end. So log on each and every week to see what the girls on Foster are up to!

This week: Caramel Apple Turnovers (courtesy of The Comfort of Cooking)

The Ingredients

As for ingredients, it’s super easy and simple.

For Caramelized Apples

• 2 apples
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • ¼ tsp. cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar

For Turnovers:

• 1 can refrigerated crescent roll dough
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg

For Caramel

• 8 tablespoons white sugar
  • 4 tablespoons water

Cooking the Filling

The lovely Nina Tehranian helped me cook the apples.

Turnover time!

Caramel Sauce: FAIL

I would have a picture to show you guys, but I had to run the pot outside before it set off the fire alarm and didn’t have time to snap a picture… sorry!

Final Product

The instructions of the recipe are so easy to follow… with the exception of the caramel sauce. I ended up with a pot full of burnt sugar. I managed to save a little caramel from the burning pan, which turned out pretty well, but I would definitely just make the turnovers without the sauce next time. Best of luck to those of you who want to try and make the caramel sauce though. This recipe was nice because I had almost all the ingredients sitting in my kitchen already. It’s a great fall dessert/snack (one of my roommates even ate one for breakfast). Everyone loved them and I’ll definitely be making them again before fall is over. 

Total time spent in the kitchen: about 40 minutes

Rating: 7

Katherine ValentinoSenior in A&S English Major Minor in American Studies, concentration in journalism 
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."