Pinterest Cocktails on Foster: An Unseasonable Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Yes, I know that Halloween has passed and Thanksgiving is around the corner. It is 40 degrees out and everything is pumpkin spice, gingerbread, or chocolate. But sometimes we need a little vacation from all the heavy sweaters and heavy flavors, even if BC doesn’t give us a fall break. So for this week’s cocktail I decided to make Cajun Lemonade! It’s light, tangy, and has just a little bit of sass.

This week: Cajun Lemonade, courtesy of Food & Wine

The Ingredients:

(Serves 8)

• 12 oz white rum or vodka
  • 4 oz. Pimm’s No. 1
  • 8 oz. fresh lemon juice
  • 4 oz. simple syrup
  • ½ Tablespoon Tabasco sauce
  • 8 oz. 7-up
  • Ice
  • Lemon wheels for garnish

Note: Pimm’s No. 1 is a deep red color. It looks clear in the above picture because it was so delicious that almost all of it’s already gone!

Click to the next page if you want to learn how to make this Cajun Lemonade concoction!

[pagebreak]

This drink takes a little longer because it requires making simple syrup. But don’t be intimidated! As the name suggests, it is super simple to make.

To make the syrup: Put one part water and one part sugar in a pot and bring the mixture to boil. Then, cover the pot and let it simmer for about three minutes. Take it off the heat and allow the syrup to cool a moment before using it. If you want to make a larger batch you can make however much simple syrup you want and keep it in a re-sealable container in the fridge for up to a month. What’s nice about simple syrup is that it isn’t sticky and it has a low viscosity. It basically looks like slightly dirty water when it’s done.

While you’re cooking the simple syrup, make the lemon juice. You can also buy store-bought lemon juice, which will be easier, but it won’t taste quite as good. I’m lucky enough to have a juicer, so squeezing the lemons didn’t take too long. When you’re done, pour the lemon juice into a re-sealable container (such as a mason jar). Add the rum or vodka (I used rum), the Pimm’s, the Tabasco sauce, and the simple syrup. Shake the container and put it in the fridge for about an hour (It can last overnight though!). When it’s cooled, pour the mix into a pitcher, or individual glasses, and add the ice and decorative lemon wheels. Then, top off the drink with 7-up to taste.

The verdict: This drink is delicious! It’s tangy, it’s sweet, and the Tabasco gives it just the perfect little kick at the end without making the drink actually taste anything like Tabasco. This drink is worth the slightly more intensive process. Side note: If you’re skeptical because you’ve never tried Pimm’s, just go for it. It’s classically used for the Pimm’s Cup, which is just the liquor mixed with lemonade and it is fabulous!

Time spent in the kitchen: 10 minutes plus an hour of downtime

Overall Rating: 9

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."