The Open Markets at SOWA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Boston College offers the best of both worlds: academics and athletics, small class sizes and big alumni networks, suburban campus and close proximity to downtown. BC has a lot perks (the pumpkin muffins in the Rat might top my list), but one of its biggest draws is the city of Boston itself. It’s clean, raw, historic, artsy, beautiful, and safe, and it’s only a few roundabout miles from my dorm room. It always surprises me, despite BC being inextricably linked and nurtured by Boston culture, how many people only go into the city for two reasons: Newbury Street and Fenway. Don’t get me wrong, I acknowledge my shopping addiction and I’ll never turn down a cold one and some baseball, but there’s so much of Boston to explore, and so much more to love.

Sunday’s are usually filled with homework and caffeine, but every once in awhile you should trade books and coffee for vintage clothes, food trucks and farmer’s markets at SOWA.

Sounds great, right?

SOWA, or South of Washington, is the more artistic district of Boston, and can be found by walking about 20-minutes south of the Copley T station. Every Sunday from May through October you can find the South End Open Markets from 10am to 4pm. The markets are all placed within a three-block area along Harrison Ave, and include a farmer’s market, a vintage market, an art market, and a whole bunch of food-coma-inducing food trucks.

My first experience at the Open Markets at SOWA included a shopping spree at Bobby’s and a perusal of one-of-a-kind vintage wares at the vintage market, topped with a “Green Meunster” avocado, bacon grilled cheese from Roxy’s food truck and a giant ice cream sandwich from Frozen Hoagies’ truck. The food is eclectic and delicious, the clothes are funky, the people are cool, and Boston is awesome.  

Next Sunday is your last chance to experience the Open Markets, so I suggest grabbing some friends and checking it out! If you’re looking for further information or directions, check out the Open Markets’ website here.

Photo Sources:

http://newenglandopenmarkets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/SEMAP2-1024×917.jpg

http://newenglandopenmarkets.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SouthArtMain.jpg

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.