Oh… That’s a Deal Breaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

He was rude to the waiter?  He wore “mandals”?  He said “like” every other word?  The smallest things can end a relationship before it even begins.

First dates and new relationships bring about excitement, nervousness, feelings of unease, and an opportunity to find The One.  Unfortunately, on the path to find that special someone, we come across way too many bumps along the road.  We are all familiar with the idea of relationship deal breakers – any qualities, habits, or attributes that we simply cannot ignore.  Ranging from appearance flaws to personality traits, these deal breakers vary from person to person and are a matter of individual taste.  You may think that you have heard them all, but BC students have come up with quite the list, some of which will definitely shock and surprise you.  

Appearance Deal Breakers

–       “Bad hygiene”
–       “Bad breath”
–        “Really greasy hair”
–       “Guys who don’t shave”
–       “Bad eyebrows”
–       “Jean shorts – jorts”
–       “Guys who don’t wash their hands”
–       “Long fingernails”
–       “Dirty fingernails”
–       “Crooked teeth”
–       “Tongue piercings”
–       “Yellow teeth”
–       “White sneakers with jeans”
–       “Guys who are too hairy”
–       “Guys who can’t dress themselves”
–       “Guys who are shorter – a girl needs to be able to wear heels!”
–       “Guys who care more about their appearance than I do”

Personality Deal Breakers
–  “Really insensitive”
–  “When guys brag about themselves too much”
–  “Clingy”
–  “Bad manners”
–  “Immature”
–  “Pretentious”
–  “Cocky”
–  “Guys who can’t make me laugh”
–  “Guys who won’t admit that they are wrong”
–  “Guys you can’t have an intellectual conversation with”
–  “Acting like a jerk to other people”
–  “Gossip Guys”

Behavioral Deal Breakers
–  “Leaving the toilet seat up”
–  “Intentionally screening calls”
–  “Spitting”
–  “Saying ‘I have question’ before asking a question”
–  “Eating like a girl – Chobani and salads”
–  “Guys who lick their fingers when eating”
–  “Eating non-finger food with their fingers”
–  “Eating with their mouth open”
–  “Texting smiley faces” 

–  “Smoking and dipping”
–  “Guys who think it is okay to adjust themselves in public”

Random Deal Breakers
–  “Guys who like country music”
–  “Guys with weird walks (ex. sticking out their butt)”
–  “After-midnight booty calls and drunk texts”
–  “Guys who say ‘let’s bounce’”

There you have it!  Girls– you are not alone when it comes to your personal deal breakers.  And guys– use this list as a guide for what not to do when you’re first meeting a girl.  Feel free to leave a comment with any deal breakers that BC students might have overlooked!

Photo Source:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=deal+breaker&hl=en&sa=X&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsu&tbnid=P-VFm7gYK9rovM:&imgrefurl=http://www.smallbusinessdelivered.com/newbusinessdealbreakers.html&docid=DK_2KnujTsnO7M&w=500&h=191&ei=cWVxTpr-G4Pe0QHSzuStCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=486&vpy=306&dur=1105&hovh=139&hovw=364&tx=188&ty=61&page=1&tbnh=58&tbnw=151&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&biw=1278&bih=578

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."
Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.