This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The feeling sneaks up on you… slowly at first… then, faster, until it is almost overwhelming.  You know there is only one thing that will alleviate the agony.  You scramble to find it in your bag, and it is nowhere in sight. As a result, you enter into a state of utter desperation.

Licking your lips no longer helps.  They thirst for the magical remedy:  a swipe (or two, or, five) of chapstick.

With the cold weather creeping in, this essential item becomes increasingly necessary to cure chapped lips. And I don’t think it gets enough credit.  So this is my shout out to the hero of dry lips everywhere.

Many people claim to be addicted to various lip balms, and I constantly joke about it, but when I Googled it (for this article, I swear), I found a multitude of websites dedicated to this supposed problem.  Apparently researchers have proven that there is no evidence of an actual physiological dependence on chapstick; however, as it turns out, the act of putting it on your lips is very habit forming.  It is an endless cycle: the more you use it, the more you feel like you have to.   So be careful of falling into this vicious downward spiral, or you may end up in chapstick rehab.

So whether you prefer the blue Blistex, Softlips, plain old Vasoline, the one that looks like a glue stick, the classic Chapstick, or my personal favorite, Burt’s Bees, with it’s refreshing minty tingle — I’m sure you can all relate to the feeling of relief that washes over you when it’s applied.

Photo Sources:
http://justlittlethings.net

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.