New New Years Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Whenever January 1st rolls around, the thought of New Year’s resolutions crosses our minds.  If you’re anything like me, you take this too lightly and promise yourself something that lasts about one week two days, if you’re lucky.  As a result, I used to think New Year’s resolutions were senseless, but that’s because I chose resolutions that were exactly that.  Every single year I chose to “eat healthier” or “lose weight for spring break”, and every year it was hard to stay motivated I failed immediately.  We make these promises to ourselves way more often than just once a year for New Year’s. Promising unrealistic things like that happens about seventeen times a year at a minimum.  

If you’re one of the few people that can actually stick to your goal for the year, more power to you!  If not, why not make easier, less stressful New Year’s resolutions to start the year off right?  I find that instead of saying you’re not going to do something like go hard at Late Night overeat, or curse, it’s easier to add something into your lifestyle as a resolution.  Here are some suggestions:

1. Exercise 2x more each week

We all know eating less, or eating healthier can be is literally impossible.  Lucky for us, we have this crazy thing on campus called the Plex that is open and accessible almost all the time.  Try to add exercise into your schedule instead of taking things away. You’ll feel better about yourself and still be able to devour enjoy tart FroYo from Lower without feeling too guilty.

2. Read more books

Instead of trying to not curse as much, try to add more useful words into your vocabulary lexicon by reading more. Find a great book to read for pleasure as a break from your schoolwork.  No harm done if you don’t keep up with this one, adding reading to your schedule can be tough!

3. Talk to Siri a new person on campus every week

For some, talking to new people can be a nightmare. But making a resolution to talk to someone new will happen almost without you even knowing it.  You can talk to some kid in your Bio class you’ve sat next to all year, or a Professor at their office hours, or a cashier in the dining halls on campus like Dorita, from Stuart (I hear she’s pretty awesome).  Plus, you might actually meet some people you like!

Your resolution can be anything you want, but try something new this year!  Even if you don’t stick to these New Year’s resolutions either, that’s okay too because I’m sure most of us would agree that the New Year’s holiday is about the parties on New Year’s Eve anyway.

Photo Source:

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2014/01/3-essential-new-years-resolutions-for-online-marketers.html

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum