Must See Movies This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Although the first day of winter is still more than a month away, BC has already experienced its first snowfall.  And while I admit that Gasson does look extra picturesque with snow falling all around it, the first snowfall usually fills me with dread instead of wonder, because it means winter is right around the corner.

Don’t get me wrong- there are some things about winter I can definitely appreciate: hot chocolate, warm fires, Christmas, semester break, etc., but the second I step outside and feel the cold whip against my face and the snow seeping through my clothes, all I want to do is rush back to my room and sleep until the temperature gets back to a perfect 70 degrees.  So what should one do when they, like me, hate winter but need something fun to do?

They should go to the movies of course!  Theaters provide an awesome escape from the cold (plus yummy snacks), and from November until February, tons of great movies come rolling into theaters.  Many Oscar nominated movies are released during this time (The Artist, The King’s Speech, Titanic etc.).  Her Campus BC has come up with a great list of this year’s winter releases, and trust me when I say that there are many gems:

Skyfall (Release Date: November 9, 2012):  For those of you who are craving an action movie, your prayers have been answered: this November, Daniel Craig is back as Bond, James Bond.  The movie has already received a whopping 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  Check out the trailer for what is sure to be one of the most heart pounding movies of the holiday season.

Lincoln (Release Date: November 16, 2012):  Two-time Oscar winner Daniel-Day Lewis has teamed up with director Stephen Spielberg to create Lincoln, an epic drama depicting one of the most beloved presidents during America’s darkest hour: the Civil War.  If Lewis and Spielberg’s names don’t convince you right away, the supporting cast, Sally Field, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Tommy Lee Jones, should be more than enough to persuade you to head to the box office.  The commercial is wonderful in and of itself, and I for one cannot wait to see this movie.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Release Date December 14, 2012):  Peter Jackson has returned to direct The Hobbit, the story of Bilbo Baggins, the hobbit who started his nephew, Frodo’s, journey in the epic Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  The film will feature dragons, Goblins, Orcs, dwarfs and, perhaps most importantly, the wonderful Ian McKellen is back in his role as Gandalf the Grey, who was one of my favorite characters in the trilogy.  With Jackson at the helm, this film is sure to be as good, or perhaps even better, than the sequels.  Check out the trailer.   

This is 40 (Release Date December 21, 2012):  Seeing as the first three movies are super intense, here’s a comedy for those of you who just want to laugh after being cooped up for two weeks with finals.  And seeing as the tagline of this film is “The Sort-of Sequel to ‘Knocked Up’”, you are sure to have quite a few laughs.  Leslie Mann and the always-adorable Paul Rudd costar in a film depicting the not so great things about turning the big 4 0. Melissa McCarthy, Jason Segal, and Megan Fox also star.  If you need a reason to smile right now, watch the trailer and get excited for what is sure to be one of the funniest movies of the holiday season.

Les Miserables (Release Date December 25, 2012):  This is the film that I am personally most excited to see.  Directed by Tom Hooper, this film is set in 19th century France and based off of Victor Hugo’s classic novel.  I was hooked three months ago when I first saw the trailer, which features Anne Hathaway’s surprisingly lovely singing voice.  And Hathaway is just the tip of the iceberg for this all-star cast, featuring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe,  Amanda Seyfried, Helena Bonham Carter, and Sacha Baron Cohen.  The amazing cast and music are sure to make this film an Oscar contender.  If you aren’t impressed yet, here’s a fun fact: unlike many other musicals turned into film, all of this music was filmed live.  Check out the trailer and see if you get chills like I did. 

Make sure to get to the movies at this winter so you can check out at one (or all) of the movies on the list.  Movies are always a little more magical on the big screen and, seeing as a few of these are sure to be Oscar contenders, you’ll have a movie or two to cheer for during the award ceremony in February!  Happy watching!

Sources:

www.imbd.com

www.youtube.com

www.mandatory.com

www.rottentomatoes.com

Photo Sources

http://scifijubilee.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/skyfall-posterii.jpg

http://www.medievalists.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/the-hobbit-movie-poster.jpeg

http://i1.cdnds.net/12/41/618×902/les_miserables_hugh_jackman_poster.jpg