More Than Just a Statue: St. Ignatius of Loyola

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

You know those people you see everywhere on campus?  Usually this happens with someone you think you met at orientation or that guy you hooked up with last year, but unless you were around during his wilder years in the 1520s, that’s probably not the case with this man.  Still, his presence is felt all over campus, whether it’s through personal connections or statues.  I don’t want to stroke his ego too much, but then again, he died in 1556, so I think we’re good.  That’s right, I’m talking about St. Ignatius.

Ignatius of Loyola was born in 1491 to a Spanish noble family and did not have the most saintly young adulthood.  He was caught up in the court life, spending his time with women, gambling, swordplay… you know, a typical Friday night.  After being injured at war, though, he had a spiritual awakening during his recovery.  He went to a town called Manresa (yes, like the house on campus– told you he was influential), where he prayed for seven hours a day and formed his “Spiritual Exercises.”

After going to the Holy Land, he was sent back to Europe where he studied and bound himself to poverty, chastity, and obedience.  In 1540, he founded the Society of Jesus, and the rest is history.

Back to campus. We’ve all seen the Ignatius statue in front of Higgins and met a few Jesuits over our time here.  But Ignatius’ legacy goes far beyond that.  Boston College professor Fr. James Keenan, S.J., said that Ignatius was unique in his “sensitivity for people’s diverse backgrounds,” and that he “stressed that each person has their own vocation, and they have to determine what that is.”

Whether or not we consciously associated this with Ignatius, that description states what many students love about BC.  Our school is all about studying what you love, determining your path, and accepting and celebrating differences.  Who knew that was all Ignatius?

Keenan also noted that, “for me, he has a belief that we should see God in all things, both the good and the bad,” and he explained, “I like that sense of providence as I get older.” For students entering college, a period of transition, this concept is incredibly important.  From popular programs like Agape Latte to retreats like Kairos and clubs like Cura, this idea of seeing God in all aspects of life is omnipresent on campus.

Aside from his obvious influence as founder of the Jesuits, the society that then founded our school, Ignatius impacts BC life on a daily basis.  He’s the mystery celeb, the one we’ve heard of and seen around but never really knew much about.  He’s like the hot guy in class who we notice but haven’t ever actually spoken to, or the professor at the podium that we pass without recognition in the Quad and realize we have no actual relationship with.  However, Ignatius really has played a large role in all of our lives, whether or not the Jesuits were our conscious reason for choosing BC.

When we walk by that statue every day, seeing the flowing robes and contemplative face, maybe we should try to do the same.  Keenan spoke of people with varying experiences of God, including those without any, and he said, “in a way, Ignatius understands that, too.” So whether we choose to contemplate God, or just life, in that action, we are living Ignatius’ goal on his campus.

Photo Source: 
Maggie Burdge

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.