Missed Connections at BC? LikeALittle.com Solves the Problem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Can’t muster up the courage to say hi to that hottie sitting across from you at Hillside?  Or do you always happen to lock eyes with a certain someone while at the Plex?

Call yourself crazy, but you have an inkling feeling that he’s checking you out too.  So why haven’t you said anything?  Well, for starters, it doesn’t help that you’re always stuffing your face with a New England Classic in Hillside, or that your Plex crush is lifting weights twenty feet below the elliptical you’re perched on.

But, that’s not it.  Really, you’re scared.  Terrified, actually.  No one wants to be turned down in person.  Isn’t it the guy’s job to ask the girl out anyway?  If chivalry really is dead – or worse, you never see him again – all hope is not lost.

LikeALittle.com, the missed connections website for college students, allows users to compliment and chat about their crushes from the safety (and anonymity) of a computer screen.  “We like to think of the site as a flirting-facilitator platform (or FFP, for advanced users),” says Evan Reas, CEO and Stanford 09’alum.

Boston College has a homepage on the site, founded by freshman Caroline Mitton just this fall.  “I think people fear rejection and are scared to put themselves out there,” says Mitton.  “Especially if they don’t really know the person, but just admire them from afar.  The anonymity of LikeALittle.com shields people from getting hurt, and it’s just an easy way to throw out a line or a compliment and see if you get any bites!”

After signing in to LAL’s Boston College page, which involves providing a valid BC email, you can initiate a post about your secret (or not so secret) crush.  You enter the gender, hair color and location where you spotted the hottie and then a quick flirty message.  Other users (hopefully one in particular) can comment and “like” the post on Facebook.  Here’s what some fellow Eagles have shared:

At Conte Forum:  Male, Brown hair.  You are most likely on the basketball team since you were on the floor for 90% of tonight’s game.  You were bleeding at one point and seemed tired and frustrated by the end of the game, I would love to nurse you back to health.

At Plex:  Male, Blonde hair.  You do a ton of theater here – the BC version of a Brad Pitt tan, sandy hair and AMAZING eyes – wanna be my star?

Yes, cheesy lines are a-plenty, but they do have a certain ring to them.  Sometimes, just enough for a crush-worthy response.

At Hillside Elevator:  Male, Brown hair.  We took the elevator up today.  Maybe you didn’t notice me because you just looked at the control panel with your hood up.  You really are cute.  I’d sure like an excuse to talk to you.

Guava says oh word? I was on the elevator with brown hair with my hood up. lmao
Author says are you cute?
Guava says I’d like to think so

And then there’s those posts that do nothing else, but leave you questioning even more.

At Hillside:  Male, Blonde hair.  I walked by you last night and saw you shove an entire water bottle down your pants.  I’m sorry that I couldn’t even hold my laughter until you passed, but I am really curious as to what you were doing.

Strange, yes.  Cruel, hurtful, sexist – not at all.  Unlike similar websites, like College ACB and the now-extinct Juicy Campus, Like a Little has a strict no-negativity policy:

Yes’s                                                       No’s
                        Be flirty                                                   Bullying behavior
                        Be fun                                                      Sexual harassment
                        Be complimentary                                Sexist comments
                        Check back often!                                 Other negative messages

Anyone with a bc.edu email can delete an abusive post or report it.  On top on that, the “Like A Little team is constantly monitoring content users post to the site,” says Abby Goldman, an intern for LAL.  “We even have a computerized filter that catches negative words, and any message that is reported twice is automatically deleted.”

For BC students who were once victims of cyber bullying through sites like Juicy Campus, this is good news to hear.  “Someone posted awful things about me, calling me a slut and a whore,” said one anonymous senior.  They were “saying that I hooked up with all these athletes, had herpes, and even had an abortion.”  Fortunately for her, and many others, Juicy Campus fell victim to multiple lawsuits and was taken down in February 2009.

Like A Little fills in the gap  (or maybe the wake of destruction?) that other sites have left behind.  It provides a safe space for harmless, and shameless, flirting and has even been dubbed the “Match.com for college kids.”  Whether it’s just for fun or leads to life-long love, it can’t hurt to check it out.  Reading through the posts might just be a better way to procrastinate than Facebook, and (who knows?) you just might spot yourself.

Photo Source:

http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/college-couple1.jpg

Alexa is a senior at Boston College majoring in Communications with an emphasis in journalism. She is spending her fourth and final year at BC enjoying tailgates, theme parties, and life long friendships. That is, of course, when she isn’t busy writing for or reading one of her favorite magazines. As a self-proclaimed magazine addict, Alexa has a subscription to over a dozen glossies and sometimes buys more on the news stands. Yikes! In the past, she has even interned for a few: Seventeen magazine, Boston magazine and now she joins Her Campus. In her free time Alexa enjoys reading chic lit., working out to bad reality TV reruns, and indulging her addiction to fro-yo. She is interested in pursuing a career at a women’s lifestyle magazine.