Miss Manners: The Top 5 Need-Knows of Table Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Manners.  The annoying and seemingly pointless rules of polite personal conduct about which your parents would never stop bothering you.  However, as arbitrary and useless as it may seem, proper etiquette can make a huge difference in everyday social interactions.  Knowing the do’s and don’ts of dining are often a contributing factor to securing a second date or landing the job/internship – they also just prevent people from staring and wondering, “what is she doing with that fork?!”

In general, BC students tend to always mind their P’s and Q’s, but when it comes to proper dining etiquette, not every one is on the same page… So before running off to your next lunch date, taking your boss up on her offer to treat the interns to dinner, or even heading to the dining hall with your friends, brush up on these five quick refreshers of correct conduct and dine like a pro!

1. Your sleeve is not a napkin, and your napkin is not a tissue.  Shocking, I know!  The napkin, not your jeans or the sleeve of your sweatshirt, can be used to keep yourself clean while eating messy foods – dab your lips, wipe off your hands, but never use it to blow your nose.  Remember, the first thing you should do after sitting down to a meal (and before you begin eating) is place a napkin on your lap.  Yes, it seems too easy, but it’s an important step that is often forgotten.
  1. There’s a reason it’s called breaking your bread and not biting, gnawing, or annihilating your bread.  I know that roll, muffin, or slice of bread looks tasty, but treating it like a sandwich (picking it up and taking a big bite) is a table manners no-no.  Instead, all forms of bread are to be broken with your hands (never cut with a knife) into bite-size pieces and popped into your mouth.  What’s the deal with butter, you may ask?  Each piece is to be buttered individually before enjoyed!
  1. Food to face, not face to food.  Due to its witty alliteration (you’re welcome), this is an easy rule to remember when dining. There is no need to heed your parent’s instruction to “eat over your plate” so literally; so please don’t hunch over your meal so that your face is hovering only inches above your dinner – it makes it seem like you haven’t seen food in weeks.  Just relax!  Sit up straight and give those arms a workout – use your utensils and hands (when appropriate!) to bring your food up to your face and not the other way around.
  1. Silence is golden.  This should probably go without saying, but (especially for our male readers – and we know you’re out there), what I will delicately refer to as, “eating noises” (i.e. slurping, chomping, lip smacking, finger licking, and above all burping) are not only impolite, but also SO disgusting. Just don’t do it. Ever. End of story.
  1. Your grilled chicken is not going anywhere, so why are you intensely stabbing it with your fork?  The most frequented etiquette sin within BC dining halls is the way in which students handle their utensils – and it may seem silly, but mastering this technique is what separates the boys from the men, ladies and gentlemen.  Here’s the run-down of the American Style of handling silverware (or plasticware): “Knife in right hand, fork in left hand holding food. After a few bite-sized pieces of food are cut, place knife on edge of plate with blades facing in. Eat food by switching fork to right hand (unless you are left handed).”

Sources:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Menu/DiningEtiquetteGuide.htm

Photo Sources:

http://www.yumsugar.com/Utensil-Etiquette-American-vs-European-11378509

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.