Mapping Out Halloween in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With only 10 days until Halloween, I’ve compiled a list of places to make that perfect Halloween costume come together. And if planning your costume doesn’t distract you enough from the stress of midterms, I’ve also included a list of fun, holiday-themed events around Boston!

Costumes!

Ladies (and gents),we have ten days until Halloween and if you’re anything like me, you already know what you’re wearing. Let’s be honest…you have probably known for a couple of months. The hard part (thinking) is over, and now you just have to buy/make the darn thing. Here are a couple of places around Boston to help you out on the final stretch that is the ordeal of Halloween prepping:

The Garment District/Boston Costume:

200 Broadway

Cambridge, MA 02139

This is a two floor costume extravaganza. Good for pre-made costumes, the garment district carries more eccentric, vintage costumes, while Boston Costume is a little more contemporary. Garment District sells great thrifty trends all year round. Styles range from funny to scary to sexy, and prices range from $30.00 to $100.00 (for the very elaborate). Unfortunately the store is a little far away, but who doesn’t enjoy an interesting T-ride to the ultimate costume store in Boston. My favorite costume? Cheeky Brit. Though we all know that’s Ginger Spice. Plus, it comes with hilarious matching underwear that you can continue wearing even after Halloween!

I party

1660 Soldier’s Field Road

Brighton MA, 02135

Most Halloween or birthday goers have been to Iparty. If you haven’t though, know that it’s good for costumes, accessories, and decorations. While it’s certainly a smaller selection than the Garment District/ Boston Costumes, it is much easier to drive to when its under two miles away. If you take public transportation, you have to hop on a bus, which in reality is not too scary, but the idea can be intimidating to those unfamiliar with the bus system in Boston. Their prices are about the same as the Garment District/ Boston Costumes and their costumes lie mostly on the sexier side though they do have some that are more conservative. My favorite? Power Ranger Body Suit. Sorry for the blurriness- In case you can’t see, yes, those are fantastic futuristic sunglasses.

Play Time Inc.

283 Broadway Street

Arlington, MA

If you’re a little more frugal and creative you can head to Play Time Inc. This is a craft store that carries things like fake flowers, ribbons, and face paint. If you already have the base clothes for your costume but need to sew or glue some extra flair on, then this is the place to get it. Again, this is a little difficult to get to via public transportation because it does require taking the bus, but by car its only 15 minutes away.

Events!

While I love being on the BC campus, sometimes it’s great to get out and explore the greater city of Boston. Here are three holiday themed events that are a great way to spend an afternoon/evening exploring the city!

Halloween Pubcrawl

131 State St.

Boston, MA 02109

This 21+ event takes place October 26th at 3:00 p.m. The ticket price is $25.00, but all of the bars involved have agreed to offer pubcrawlers discounted drink prices, so the more you drink the better the deal. Come in costume ready to have an awesome time! If you’re drinking you should plan on taking public transport, but that isn’t a problem when all you have to do is hop on the green line to Government Center Station.

Halloooweiner

Boston Commons

If you have a dachshund and live close by, or you just love seeing adorable dogs all dressed up this is your end all be all. I’m not kidding. Imagine roughly 75 dachshunds (and a few other brave dogs not afraid to stand out) all in adorable Halloween costumes. To get there you just need to hop on the green line and get there by 11:00 am October 26th!  And if you don’t make it I will be posting pictures next week of the best costumes I see when I go! Here’s a picture of me and my dachshund Finn at last year’s event. He was a lion that year.

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum