Make Your Summer “Beach Bod” Last All Year Long

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

This summer has been full of adventures.  Whether it was hiking in Yosemite, lounging on Miami Beach, or working a full-time job as a waitress, we have all had three months away from the college routine.  For many BC girls, that meant going to their local gym in order to make that “beach bod” last all summer.  But how are you going to make that “beach bod” last all year (even in the cold!)?

Lauren Scheindtfeldt, Director of Fitness at the Plex, has some tips on how to stay fit at BC.

How long/hard should a girl work out a day?
“I think most people (women) should be active 30-60 minutes a day. That can mean walking to school, taking a yoga class, swimming, playing frisbee, dancing etc.  I think if you find an activity or hobby that you love, you should do that instead of forcing yourself to do something you don’t like.  If you are training for a specific event (club sports etc.) then you should practice that sport and practice as intense as you will compete.”

What types of workouts are good for burning fat and gaining muscle?
“It is especially important for women to start a weight training or weight bearing (squats, lunges, push-ups) at the college level to maintain muscle, keep body fat at a healthy level (under %30), prevent osteoporosis, and to maintain self confidence and strength.  The more muscle you have, the stronger your frame and the faster your metabolism.  Any type of TBC class, strength and conditioning class, or free weights are acceptable options.”

What are prime times to go to the gym? (“Quieter” gym times)
 “The gym is quieter between the hours of 6am-3pm.  Peak hours are from 3pm-8pm on a college campus.”

What do you recommend students do to stay fit?  Are there any nutrition classes or programs offered at The Plex?
“We are offering a “Biggest Loser” Program for those that need to lose a significant amount of weight in a healthy manner.  These are also small group training programs.  They are more affordable ($60 for 12 sessions) and you also meet people with similar goals/interests.  Lifting 101, Fitness 101, Triathlon Training and many new group fitness classes as well.  We have some new dance classes (Cardio Jazz Funk, Street Hip Hop and Core Fusion to name a few).  We are trying to diversify the program.  Check out our website for more information or like us on Facebook (Boston College Campus Recreation).”

What are some new classes the Plex has to offer this fall?
“If you are new to exercise or are confused about how to program your workout schedule to stay “fit,” I recommend either buying a series of personal training sessions so that you can accomplish your goals in a healthy way or taking one of our new small group training programs.  We are offering “Lifting 101” and “Fitness 101.”  This is a group of five students with one trainer.  The classes meet two times a week for six weeks and teach you how to program and technique on exercises, while kicking your butt!  Nutrition and other questions are also addressed.  These are offered Monday/Wednesday at 1, 5, 6 and 7pm or Tuesday at 9am, 530pm, 630pm or 730pm.  Contact Member Services with questions or me!”

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.