Learn About Smart Women Securities from Co-Founder Amy Hinz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Amy Hinz is a sophomore and a hard-core “CSOM-er.”  In addition to being in the CSOM honors program and working in the Business Law Office, she also co-founded a new organization on campus called Smart Women Securities.

Amy with Warren Buffet in Omaha, NE, in April 2011

Originally from East Lansing, MI, Amy wanted to come to BC because she likes the East Coast and was very impressed with BC’s business program.  She loves everything about CSOM:  the professors, the classes, her friends, and even Fulton itself!

Amy is passionate about Finance, but she is also double majoring in Philosophy.  In her free time, she likes hanging out with her “amazing” roommates, going into the city, and volunteering her time through the 4Boston program. 

After graduation, Amy really wants to move to New York and work in the financial industry for a few years. However, she also has other dreams for her future.  Eventually she would like to get involved with education reform because she thinks that there are some major issues with the educational system in the United States and would like to have a role in fixing them.

This year, she helped co-found the BC chapter of  Smart Women Securities.  SWS started at Harvard in 2005 and there are now 8 chapters nationwide.  Don’t be fooled by the name – Smart Women Securities is not just an organization for women in CSOM.  SWS was created as an educational experience for women who don’t have prior knowledge of investing.  According to Amy, “The goal is to ensure that when women graduate from college they will have the knowledge necessary to manage their own finances, no matter what their career.”

SWS teaches women how to invest their money through a ten-week seminar series on campus in the fall semester.  A professor or professional teaches each seminar on topics like the stock market and investment ideas.  After participating in all ten seminars, each student must present their own investment research project in order to become a “SWS associate.”   After the educational portion, SWS associates are given the opportunity to be an analyst in a real world investment fund.  SWS also uses its growing notoriety to bring in interesting guest speakers and to provide strong mentors for all women in the club.

This April, Smart Women Securities organized a trip to Omaha for women from all 8 branches.  The group had the opportunity to spend plenty of time with Warren Buffet, also known as the “Oracle of Omaha” in the financial world.

Amy is very excited to stay involved with Smart Women Securities next year.  She specifically wants to work more on the SWS seminar series, mentoring initiative, and investment project.   After a successful first year, Smart Women Securities will continue to be a great opportunity for all BC women.

To learn more visit http://www.smartwomansecurities.com/.  You can also contact bostoncollege@smartwomansecurities.com to get involved with Smart Women Securities next year.

Brittany is passionate about the development of communities, both online and offline. As the Director of Community Development & Strategic Programming for Her Campus Media, Brittany oversees the development and growth of the Her Campus Chapter and Alumni Networks. She also oversees internal professional development and mentorship programming for current students and postgrads, including the first annual 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women list. Currently, Brittany spearheads programming and production of Her Campus's tentpole conference series - Her Conference and Her Conference: High School - and the production of College Fashion Week 2015.Brittany's pastimes include listening to live music, reading books in their physical form, being outdoors, and consuming way too much coffee. She is an alumna of Boston College and currently lives in Austin, TX. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.