Introducing Google +

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With the social media craze in full swing, an endless stream of social platforms promising to be “a better Facebook” has overwhelmed many collegiettes™.  Google + is the newest addition to the social media scene and has caused some confusion as to what exactly it is.  The site features a news feed (like Facebook) called The Stream, video chat (like Skype), and Sparks (similar to Twitter).  This may seem a bit daunting, but don’t worry because I am here to guide you through it.  The following are five reasons why you should grab your laptop and sign on up for a Google + account today!

1.  Circles
Adding friends on Google + is a little different from Facebook.  Instead of sharing with a mass group of friends, Google has focused on sharing with various social groups.  What this means is that when you add friends, you can drag-and-drop them into different social circles.  For example, my circles are friends, family, and co-workers, but you can create any custom circles that you want.  The great thing about this feature is that you choose what circles you want to share your content with.  So if you only want your family circle to see a picture, you can do that!

2.  Photos
Uploading and sharing photos on Google + could not be easier.  All you have to do is click on the photo icon, choose which pictures you want to upload, and choose the circles that you want to share the pictures with.  It is as simple as that.  This may seem identical to Facebook, but wait, there’s more!  The Google + image editor allows you to crop, rotate, and even add effects to your pictures.  The photo effects are similar to Instagram and really fun to play around with!

3.  Hangouts
You’re probably wondering what in the world “Hangouts” could possibly be. Well, I am here to tell you that it’s Google’s exciting group video chat feature!  “Hangouts” is a similar concept to Skype, except it differs in one major way.  Instead of directly inviting a friend to video chat, users click “start a hangout” and are placed in a video chatroom alone.  Notifications are sent to all of the user’s social circles, letting friends know that the user is online and ready to video chat.  This may seem a little questionable, but Google researchers found that friends would quickly join the hangout!

Up to 10 people can be in a hangout at a time, but other users can request to be on the waitlist and wait for a spot to open up.  In addition, there isn’t a chat window for each participant in the hangout.  Instead, the chat screen changes to whoever is talking at the moment. Does that sound cool or what?

4.  Sparks
This component of Google + has been compared to Twitter and focuses on finding and sharing content with other users.  All you have to do is click on the “Sparks” tab and choose what your interests are – it is as simple as that!  Once you have selected your interests, collections of articles, videos, photos, and other content will appear.  All the content is extremely up to date and relevant.  The content is assembled through other Google products (like Google Search) as well as what others are sharing on Google +. Adding your own content to Sparks is extremely easy.  All you have to do is click the +1 button that appears next to websites on Google Search and next to items on your Stream!

5.  75% Male Users
Okay, so this may not be a totally legit reason to join Google +, but it is definitely interesting!  Recent data from Google + statisticians says that at least three quarters of Google + users are male.  In fact, 95% of Google + users who say they are looking for love on the site are male!  I think that we collegiettes™ need to make our presence known on Google + and show those guys that we can Google + it up as well!

Now that you know a little more about Google +, what are you waiting for?  Start streaming today!  If you have any fun facts, tips, or suggestions regarding Google + feel free to leave them in the comments!

Photo Sources:
http://printerinkcartridgesblog.printcountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2011…
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/interactive/2011/7/google-plus-logo.jpg
http://gfxcave.com/quick%20tips/google%20plus/google-plus-logo.png

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."
Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.