The Intern Chronicles: Nicole Miller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

We worked hard on our resumes, applied to every job posting, and stressed over interviews.  But it was all worth it to land our awesome internships!  This is a blog series to highlight the incredible opportunities we had this past summer beginning our careers.  If you worked at an internship this summer, contact us so we can feature your experience in an article! 

In my experience, girls from our generation tend to have what I refer to as The Hills syndrome when it comes to internships- especially when it comes to those in the fashion industry.  For those not in the know, The Hills was a show aired by MTV chronicling the adventures of post-Laguna Beach Lauren Conrad as she “interned” at a fashion magazine and eventually a fashion company in Los Angeles.  When I found out at the end of last year that I had been lucky enough to be chosen to work as an intern in the sales department of designer Nicole Miller’s studio in New York City, I cannot begin to tell you how many of my friends imposed The Hills fantasy on me.   They were convinced I would be gallivanting around the city planning parties and jetting off to Paris on a day’s notice.  Let me lay down a disclaimer for all those who still believe that reality television is full of truth– an internship in the fashion industry is nothing like what L.C. “went” through.  Fashion is a multi-billion dollar industry and interning in it is a lot more difficult– and rewarding– than any pre-conceived expectations one might have.

Photo shoot at Nicole Miller

The Nicole Miller brand launched in the mid-1980s and has now become one of the premier American designer brands on the scene today.  As the brand is carried in not only Nicole Miller stores but many smaller boutiques and major department stores, I guarantee at least one girl everyone knows has a Nicole Miller dress hanging in her closet.  As a sales intern, my job was to help those responsible for selling the lines to existing and new customers from around the world.  I was able to sit on in many important meeting with clients, such as Rent the Runway and Bloomingdales, and even helped design the structure of a meeting with Saks Fifth Avenue.  I also helped maintain the showroom and dress models, as well as ran errands around the city for my higher ups– such as delivering dresses or helping set up display windows– mostly while in heels.  Overall, it was an incredible experience; I got to witness a shoot for a look-book, not to mention view upcoming collections and meet people with vast experience in the industry.

Nicole Miller booth at the fashion trade show Intermezzo

What is my best advice for getting a fashion internship?  If this is something you are passionate about, then you really must put yourself out there to any and all opportunities.  Apply to as many places as possible and see what’s the best fit for you.  However, this openness should not end after one gets the job.  Fashion is a constantly moving industry and, in order to keep up, you must be open to doing any and all tasks that might be required.  It has its advantages though– it means that you get to understand a lot more about the industry as a whole!  Hard work and dedication is truly valued and by displaying that, you’re sure to make a good impression on anyone you come in contact with.  My last piece of advice?  Learn to walk in heels– believe me, it’s a necessity! 

A window display I helped set up at a collaboration between
Nicole Miller and Pottery Barn in Lincoln Center

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.