How to Throw a Viewing Party in your Dorm like a Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

College dorms aren’t exactly luxurious and they can be quite small. However, that shouldn’t stop you from throwing a viewing party for your favorite award show! I threw a viewing party for me and my friends and here are some tips so you can do the same!

1. Prepping

Before your friends come over, you should prep your room a little bit. When I say “prep” I mean tidy up. Before my friends came over, I made sure my bed was made and my desk was cleared off. I put any shoes that were in the middle of my room away. I know cleaning your room can be annoying but it is worth it for your guests. You want them to feel comfortable and not hiding under a pile of your clothes! In addition, before my friends came over, I vacuumed so my room appeared cleaner and I also sprayed some febreeze so my friends wouldn’t smell my dirty laundry!

2. Food is Key

For a viewing party, there must be some sort of snacks for your friends to munch on while watching the red carpet.

There is a Wegmans that is located about a mile and half away from my school which is awesome. You don’t have to go to Wegmans because any supermarket will do, though! Supermarkets are perfect to buy snacks but also to buy microwavable dishes or prepared foods. I got my friends and I a cheese platter that was already prepared. It  had different cheese cubes, assorted meats, and fruit. It was so good and we felt boujee having cheese and crackers. I also picked up tortilla chips and I bought salsa and guacamole. I would also recommend popcorn too because it is an easy snack to heat up in your microwave. And who doesn’t love snacking on popcorn while watching the carpet? Another snack that I got was a charcuterie platter of assorted veggies and ranch dipping sauce. Again, so delicious but also so convenient because all the veggies were pre-cut and packaged. The last thing I got was vegetable sushi. Sushi is my favorite food ever so I was a happy camper when I found it fresh at Wegmans. These snacks were all so good, healthy, and easy to grab at the grocery store. They were also easy to share and pick on as my friends and I were watching the show.

For drinks, you could always have wine (over 21 of course ;) or I recommend sparkling apple cider. However, if you want to just be simple and save money, you could just grab refreshments from your dining hall and bring those back to your room!

3. Decorations

Going along with the food tip, I recommend getting some cool paper plates and cups because it will spice up your event and make your friends feel even more special. Any grocery store or convenient store has fun paper plates and cups. For my friends, I got pink paper plates and gold plastic cups. They weren’t that expensive and they spiced up the mood because we weren’t eating on boring, white paper plates. Also, I bought a paper table cloth to put over my desk for the food. This added a nice touch and prevented  any spillages..

4. Seating

I had 7 friends over so fitting them all into my small dorm was difficult, but I made it work. I have two desk chairs in my room so those served as two seats and I put two of my pillows on them to make them a little more comfortable. Then, I used my blue puff for someone else to sit on. Some of my friends also sat on my bed but if you don’t want people on your bed you can put pillows on the ground with blankets. This is always a cozy and a great option too. If you don’t have enough pillows or blankets, one tip I have is to tell your friends to bring their own!

5. Have fun!

My last pro tip is to have fun! My friends and I love award shows and guessing which person will win. So enjoy.

I hope these tips help and inspire some of you to throw viewing parties of your own. You don’t have to go anywhere to watch them and you can even wear your pajamas and be cozy with your friends. Also, don’t stress if you don’t have a television in your dorm.  You can always stream an award show from your laptop or iPad!

Sources

https://media.giphy.com/media/JaLfrmeYEScJq/giphy.gif

https://unsplash.com/photos/CNjfgzoY8JU

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/48/c9/3c/48c93c946ccc348eed6f922cfaccff85…

Hi! My name is Cameron Stonehouse and I am a Senior at Boston College. I have been apart of HerCampus since freshman year and have loved being apart of this organization. In my free time, I like to hang out with friends, read, and cook! My guilty pleasure is reality tv and popcorn :)
Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!